Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5100s

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 5100s

Installed my rears a couple weeks ago and finally was able to start my fronts today. Of course in between my daughters birthday party this morning and wedding this evening. Rears offered a world of difference. Truly shocking how pathetic the stock rears are (2017 XLT Sport 302A 4x4 FX4 with 1300ish miles.). Hoping the fronts are as noticeable, and am pretty sure they will be.

Driver side assembly came out pretty easily. However, I learned that my impact driver is not strong enough to compress the spring far enough to reassemble with the 5100s.

Had to stop for this wedding, but going to pick it back up tomorrow after church. Looks like I'll be making a trip with both assemblies to my a Brother-in-law' father's shop so I will have access to a compressor and impact driver strong enough to reassemble.
Attached Thumbnails 5100s-img_1552.jpg  
Old 08-06-2017, 11:09 PM

Finished up installing the Bilstein 5100 fronts today. I ended up not using the rental spring compressor. That thing scares me to death. I used my floor jack to compress the assembly (bolted the hat in then slid the shock and coil up and into the hat. I put the base of the shock in he lower control arm and jacked it up with the floor jack and guided them into place.). This method required that I loosen the lower control arm so that it would swing down. I also removed the entire spindle assembly and strapped it up and over out of the way.

Looks good. I am a little nose high, but I think it will settle some. I went with the full 2.1 inch setting. The pic is on my parking pad in front of my garage that does have a slope, so it appers more that what it really is. I forgot to take measurements before, not that I really care a whole lot. The ride is very nice. I am glad I went with the whole set of Bilstein 5100s instead of using spacers up front.

I did notice that I have contact with the coil and upper control on full droop. I don't off-road my truck so I'm not worried about it at all. Also, removing everything was a breeze. I guess it was mainly due to it being new. 1300 miles. No funny noises, and steering seems to still be straight. Planning on an alignment tomorrow.

I think 1.5" wheel spacers will be next. Tires are BF Goodrich KO2s in 275/65r20.
Attached Thumbnails 5100s-img_1554.jpg  

Last edited by RyanRobinson; 08-06-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe add some taller blocks in the back? But otherwise I'm sure you will be happy with them.

I just ordered Rears for my 2015. I bought a Travel Trailer and was severely disappointed in the handling of the truck. The shocks are my first step to correcting the soft ride. I hope they are a lot better like you say.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts

Stupid question maybe, but can the height be adjusted after installation, or would they have to be removed?
Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bigt8600
Maybe add some taller blocks in the back? But otherwise I'm sure you will be happy with them.

I just ordered Rears for my 2015. I bought a Travel Trailer and was severely disappointed in the handling of the truck. The shocks are my first step to correcting the soft ride. I hope they are a lot better like you say.
I do have some rear blocks, that I could add if they don't settle enough. You will be amazed. My truck is brand new and the difference was very apparent.
The following users liked this post:
Bigt8600 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by klen
Stupid question maybe, but can the height be adjusted after installation, or would they have to be removed?
Unfortunately, no. Complete disassembly and reassembly of the strut would be necessary.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

It won't settle that much. I see rear blocks in your future...

Also, anything in the bed or a trailer and you're pointed to the heavens.