Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 rough idle at startup when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 5.0 rough idle at startup when warm

Lately I've noticed my truck starts up fine when its been sitting a while, but if I go for a drive and let it warm up, then shut it off (like to run into a store) and start it up again, it idles very rough for about 5-10 seconds. After that it smooths out and runs fine.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 AM

And of course I went by the dealer yesterday afternoon and could not get it to do it. Started up perfect every time.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:43 AM

and now it's doing it again... man this is frustrating. No one else experienced this? Hopefully it will still happen when I get to the dealer.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if it's the same thing as you are experiencing but I live in south Mississippi where it's been 95 lately. When I've left the ac on high when I get out of the truck and then remote start it, it sounds really loud. I think it's the fan motor just trying to cool off but I'm not sure, only does it for about 30 seconds then goes back to normal.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:20 PM
nad

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Mine idle's pretty rough now too, it didnt do it when I first bought it. I test drove a new 2016 the other day and it was idling rough as well. I'm guessing its something to do with when it drops down to 500rpm, if the AC is on or any other accessories it may make it idle rough.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a fuel injector is leaking.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by nad
Mine idle's pretty rough now too, it didnt do it when I first bought it. I test drove a new 2016 the other day and it was idling rough as well. I'm guessing its something to do with when it drops down to 500rpm, if the AC is on or any other accessories it may make it idle rough.
Possibly... it has been pretty hot here lately (95-100) and I always have the A/C on. It shouldn't be normal though.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Started doing it again during lunch today so I went by the dealer since I was close by. They didn't have a loaner available so I'll have to bring it back Monday morning. The service advisor quickly looked at it and said "it's definitely not normal."

Hopefully we get this figured out monday.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:21 PM

I know this isn't a very active topic but I'm keeping you all updated in case someone else runs into this...

I took it into the dealer at 7:00am yesterday and at the end of the day they called saying they couldn't replicate the problem, so they wanted to keep it another day (since they knew I wasn't imagining it. They saw it firsthand when I stopped by a few days prior and documented it). Today I just get another call saying they DID replicate the problem, and that it is misfiring on random cylinders. Supposedly none of the mechanics in the shop have experienced this problem on this motor. They are now waiting on Ford to tell them how to proceed.

Frustrating... In less than 3 months and 4500 miles, I've had the tranny reprogrammed for hard shifting, back glass replaced due to a leak, and now a misfiring motor.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 535 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by iplayloudly
I know this isn't a very active topic but I'm keeping you all updated in case someone else runs into this...

I took it into the dealer at 7:00am yesterday and at the end of the day they called saying they couldn't replicate the problem, so they wanted to keep it another day (since they knew I wasn't imagining it. They saw it firsthand when I stopped by a few days prior and documented it). Today I just get another call saying they DID replicate the problem, and that it is misfiring on random cylinders. Supposedly none of the mechanics in the shop have experienced this problem on this motor. They are now waiting on Ford to tell them how to proceed.

Frustrating... In less than 3 months and 4500 miles, I've had the tranny reprogrammed for hard shifting, back glass replaced due to a leak, and now a misfiring motor.

My truck has started idling rough too. Did your truck have a check engine light or log a code?

Quick Reply: 5.0 rough idle at startup when warm