Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4H & 4A vibration under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4H & 4A vibration under acceleration

My 15' has an annoying vibration when given moderate acceleration in the 4H and 4A drivetrain modes, worse in the 4A setting. This is while you are in motion and not from a stop.
Do others have this condition ? If so how bad is it and have you had it addressed by Ford ?
The following users liked this post:
taotaomona77 (10-14-2016)
Old 01-18-2016, 12:14 AM

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine has it. Not bad at all. Let's me know when the transfer case is engaged and the fronts are getting power on 4A though. Just feel it in the accelerator.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by danaco
My 15' has an annoying vibration when given moderate acceleration in the 4H and 4A drivetrain modes, worse in the 4A setting. This is while you are in motion and not from a stop.
Do others have this condition ? If so how bad is it and have you had it addressed by Ford ?
Through the gas pedal? I have it for sure, just as you describe, moderate acceleration while already in motion. Asked the dealer just about the slight increased noise in noise in 4A, but not necessarily about the vibration, but he did road test it and said all seemed normal
isthatahemi (11-06-2020)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Experience (with 2008 Explorer and now 2016 F150)

Kind of relieved that I finally found someone else posting questions or concerns about this "noise or vibration" that I am feeling when engaged in 4A mode. As the title eludes, I previously owned a 2008 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 that had 4A mode engaged all the time (with 4H and 4L). In that SUV I never felt or noticed the vibration or noise that I am getting in my F150, in either modes. Since getting the truck I have not had the need to use it - until now when we have rain and I happened to be driving and towing. When the 4A is engaged and while looking at the productivity screen, I notice the vibration and noise when I accelerate and the display shows power going to the front wheels. This vibration and noise occurred before my tow and even afterwards, which I switched to 2H just to be safe. Conducted more test of the truck using both 2H and 4A doing slow and fast accelerations, turns, and decelerations with the noise/vibration only occurring in 4A mode. To me its a little annoying considering that I know how it feels in 4A mode when I drove my 2008 Explorer for over 8 years. Anyone else have this issue addressed with your Ford Service Department and/or had repairs done to fix this issue? I am in the process of calling my dealer/service department now.

Concerned owner
Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by danaco
Is this your first f150? Ive owned several and they all have this when in 4wd.
isthatahemi (11-06-2020)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same problem in my 15. The issue was first noticed 8 months ago and have been dealing with ford since. Occurs under acceleration or when power is applied, generally more noticeable when accelerating and Turing slight left. Vibration is felt in steering, gas pedal and drivers floor. Dealership did a harmonics test and could find no vibration but shop verified something was odd. Ford is suggesting a new front axel. Goes back next week for the fourth time.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erc1956us
I have the same problem in my 15. The issue was first noticed 8 months ago and have been dealing with ford since. Occurs under acceleration or when power is applied, generally more noticeable when accelerating and Turing slight left. Vibration is felt in steering, gas pedal and drivers floor. Dealership did a harmonics test and could find no vibration but shop verified something was odd. Ford is suggesting a new front axel. Goes back next week for the fourth time.
Let us know how it goes and what was done. Is your truck still under warranty? I've owned a 08 Explorer which had 4A engaged all the time and I never got this vibration or noise.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:38 PM

Yes, has 18k on it now first noticed the problem at 8k. Lariat super crew fx4.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Took it back agin today, shop Forman again verified the problem after driving another similar truck which has no vibration. Dealership does not think its the axel but Ford is suggesting it be replaced. If that doesn't solve the problem it's time for a new transfer case. i will post an update when replacement parts have been installed.
TX-Ripper (10-19-2016)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erc1956us
Took it back agin today, shop Forman again verified the problem after driving another similar truck which has no vibration. Dealership does not think its the axel but Ford is suggesting it be replaced. If that doesn't solve the problem it's time for a new transfer case. i will post an update when replacement parts have been installed.
Good thing nobody held their breath .. any update?

Quick Reply: 4H & 4A vibration under acceleration