Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

37" tires posisble with BDS 6" Coilover without altering crash bars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 37" tires posisble with BDS 6" Coilover without altering crash bars?

New to the site and was instructed to start a new thread rather than hunt for the answer in several different threads.

I just purchased a 2016 5.0 SCREW with the 157" wheelbase (6.5'bed) with 3.73's. I want to go with the BDS 6" coilover lift with 37" tires, is it necessary to upgrade gears and/or driveshaft, or am I ok with the stock gears and shaft? I have heard responses on both sides of the fence.

Also is it possible to squeeze 37x12.50 tires onto this setup without altering the crash bars. The BDS manual says 37x12.50 should be fine on 20x9 wheels with 5.5" of backspacing. I love the look of the 6" lift but feel 35's leave a little to be desired as far as filling empty space in the tire department. I have found it tough to find a lot of input on actual 6" setups with 37's so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just want to be absolutely sure on the setup before i drop 8-10 grand on it

2016 XLT FX4 5.0 3.73 6.5' bed with sprayed in

Planned upgrades- Borla ATAK dual exhaust, air raid cold air intake, jlt oil separator, BDS 6" coilover lift, Fuel dune 20" wheels, Pro Comp 37" tires, baja boxed unibal upper control arms
Old 08-21-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by XFITFARMRN
New to the site and was instructed to start a new thread rather than hunt for the answer in several different threads.

I just purchased a 2016 5.0 SCREW with the 157" wheelbase (6.5'bed) with 3.73's. I want to go with the BDS 6" coilover lift with 37" tires, is it necessary to upgrade gears and/or driveshaft, or am I ok with the stock gears and shaft? I have heard responses on both sides of the fence.

Also is it possible to squeeze 37x12.50 tires onto this setup without altering the crash bars. The BDS manual says 37x12.50 should be fine on 20x9 wheels with 5.5" of backspacing. I love the look of the 6" lift but feel 35's leave a little to be desired as far as filling empty space in the tire department. I have found it tough to find a lot of input on actual 6" setups with 37's so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just want to be absolutely sure on the setup before i drop 8-10 grand on it

2016 XLT FX4 5.0 3.73 6.5' bed with sprayed in

Planned upgrades- Borla ATAK dual exhaust, air raid cold air intake, jlt oil separator, BDS 6" coilover lift, Fuel dune 20" wheels, Pro Comp 37" tires, baja boxed unibal upper control arms

It really runs great with the 3.73 gears. Either Pro Comp tire, the AT Sport or the MT2 are pretty lightweight, so it will turn them no problem.

With +1mm wheels I had to trim the inside bottom of my front crash bars. Even after I moved bumper brackets and spread the bars a lot with a port-a-power, it still rubbed. If you're looking at +14mm or +20mm, .5" or .75" more positive offset will help, but I can't see it totally clearing at full lock, in reverse, when hitting a bump.

I believe, last I heard from Fuel, they have discontinued the Fuel Dune wheel. The only thing they are showing in inventory is a few Chrome in 20X10 -12mm and 20X9 +20mm.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the input, do you have any pictures of your truck?

I believe they are discontinued but certain websites have them available still.

Do you think there is any wheel setup that will allow for not altering the crashbars other than adding spacers? I don't want the wheels to stick way out from the body. I plan on having a bodyshop paint some bushwhacker fender flares to match (my truck is green em) to help compensate for some of the tire sticking out. I don't want to mess with the crashbars if at all possible, it seems like a real questionable move to alter safety equipment plus I see a lot of legal debates going on about it as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the input, do you have any pictures of your truck?

I believe they are discontinued but certain websites have them available still.

Do you think there is any wheel setup that will allow for not altering the crashbars other than adding spacers? I don't want the wheels to stick way out from the body. I plan on having a bodyshop paint some bushwhacker fender flares to match (my truck is green em) to help compensate for some of the tire sticking out. I don't want to mess with the crashbars if at all possible, it seems like a real questionable move to alter safety equipment plus I see a lot of legal debates going on about it as well.
Two things to be careful about. First, a lot of online stores just drop ship the wheels from Fuel and don't actually keep stock, so if they show them "in stock" I would call and make sure, so they don't just take your money and backorder you. Second, when you buy a cancelled wheel, you better hope you never have an issue, be it warranty or damage, because you're going to be hard-pressed to come up with another.

It is a fine line, because the wheels/tires can only be tucked so far up under the truck and still clear the new lift knuckles. Sticking out is the opposite of what you want, wheel spacers will exacerbate the rubbing. A +14mm or +20mm will be your best shot at not rubbing, but those will barely be outside the fender, so if you were wanting to add flares, they will be tucked up in the flares.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 AM
DVS

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2015 has just the basic 6" BDS lift and I'm running 37/13.5R18 on my lariat. Slight rubbing inner fender well, but I just need to trim a little plastic and it will be fine
Attached Thumbnails 37" tires posisble with BDS 6" Coilover without altering crash bars?-image.jpeg  
Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 AM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

I'd take a look at the 7" ReadyLift if you're looking to do 37s. That extra inch could help with some clearance issues and maybe keep the cutting to a minimum.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by thatdudethere
Two things to be careful about. First, a lot of online stores just drop ship the wheels from Fuel and don't actually keep stock, so if they show them "in stock" I would call and make sure, so they don't just take your money and backorder you. Second, when you buy a cancelled wheel, you better hope you never have an issue, be it warranty or damage, because you're going to be hard-pressed to come up with another.

It is a fine line, because the wheels/tires can only be tucked so far up under the truck and still clear the new lift knuckles. Sticking out is the opposite of what you want, wheel spacers will exacerbate the rubbing. A +14mm or +20mm will be your best shot at not rubbing, but those will barely be outside the fender, so if you were wanting to add flares, they will be tucked up in the flares.

Beautiful Truck!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by DVS
My 2015 has just the basic 6" BDS lift and I'm running 37/13.5R18 on my lariat. Slight rubbing inner fender well, but I just need to trim a little plastic and it will be fine
Nice Truck!
The following users liked this post:
DVS (08-25-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by white_dc
I'd take a look at the 7" ReadyLift if you're looking to do 37s. That extra inch could help with some clearance issues and maybe keep the cutting to a minimum.
I feel like BDS offers a much better quality lift, or am I mistaken?
Old 08-22-2016, 12:52 AM

I feel like BDS offers a much better quality lift, or am I mistaken?
It is not as if the other lifts are necessarily lower "quality", like their welds are breaking apart and the like, but BDS has definitely developed a great reputation. You had mentioned you were looking for a coilover lift, so ReadyLift would not be able to fill that need. You would have to supplement it with a set of coilovers. If wanting to go with a strut spacer lift, you can't go wrong with ReadyLift. While not the cheapest, their products are phenomenal in both fit and finish.

Quick Reply: 37" tires posisble with BDS 6" Coilover without altering crash bars?