Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.5 EB first oil change observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 3.5 EB first oil change observations, mess mitigation, Ronin

There are many threads on here regarding the "gush" problem with this engines plastic oil pan, screwy plug and the exit orientation. So I went into this today prepared for the worst, but shared forum knowledge equipped! Thanks to those that contributed!

First, I thought I'd be a smarty pants and use my oil sump pump that I use on my big Yamaha outboard boat engine and just suck out the majority before pulling the plug.... easy peazy and debulk the issue, right? Whelp, while the pump will evacuate all* of my boats sump from the dipstick hole (vertical crankshaft too fwiw), the design of my EB is such that the pump tube, while bottomed out in the dipstick hole (great way to get a PRE change oil analysis BTW), it'll only retrieve about 2-3 quarts this way. DOH! So much for gaming this system.

So now to the underside and storied land of Jed Clampet style oil changes LOL. Cut to the chase/dribble/drip here- on a RWD, 3.5 EB, up on front ramps. After loosening the whack-a-plug just a bit, I found it no problem to snake my left arm up and over the torsion bar in order to loosen the plug enough to get a good but conservative stream, while holding my oil catch pan with my right hand up close to avoid splatter. After a short while, and starting out 2.5q "low", I was able to set the pan down and let her dribble the rest out. No mess, no drama. Not even a dribble down my nitriled hand or arm as it was positioned above the plug. Bottom line for me was, unless one were to yank the plug without consideration or prior knowledge, it really isn't that big a deal* Again too, YMMY as this is a 3.5 and RWD.

Now all that being said, I did however previously buy into the "hype" ( sorry Ronin...) and had purchased one of their wunder plugs, which I did install at this juncture.
NICE piece of billet and engineering!! Went on just as advertised, though the wave spring/seating tension seemed lower than expected or as depicted in their video. It will be interesting how the next change goes in comparison!
And yes, the pump will be left in the boat barn next time

Last edited by noclutch; 02-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by noclutch:
mizzouxc (02-10-2019), N4HHE (02-09-2019), roudan (02-09-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 436 Likes on 342 Posts

Now please write how to do it with the metal pan. Ha ha. I made a royal mess. It's pretty obvious the 3.5EB wasn't designed for the F-150. The freaking plug is right in line with the sway bar. Not looking forward to the next oil change. Need to figure out a way to divert the oil below. And no, don't want a Fumoto or similar valve. Glad it's easier with the plastic valve, but prefer a metal pan myself. Just wish Ford had paid more attention to maintenance. Wonder how dealers do it. They must make a mess too.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:11 PM

elptxjc- I hear ya on the metal vs plastic and wish I had the former! But I'm stuck with what I got.... Fingers crossed!

On this topic, does anyone know WHY they went plastic in the first place?

From my understanding of manufacturing in the current decade, plastic is a lot more expensive to get "up and running" considering injection mold costs. However it enables more complex designs that would require expensive machining on comparable cast or stamped metal pieces. Yes plastic is cheaper than metals, but is that the only reason?? Is that close??
And if so, doesn't it seem that Ford basically dropped the ball on the design of the complex oil pan/crankcase mating surface/shape/design that requires a PITA to produce oil pan?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by noclutch
elptxjc- I hear ya on the metal vs plastic and wish I had the former! But I'm stuck with what I got.... Fingers crossed!

On this topic, does anyone know WHY they went plastic in the first place?

From my understanding of manufacturing in the current decade, plastic is a lot more expensive to get "up and running" considering injection mold costs. However it enables more complex designs that would require expensive machining on comparable cast or stamped metal pieces. Yes plastic is cheaper than metals, but is that the only reason?? Is that close??
And if so, doesn't it seem that Ford basically dropped the ball on the design of the complex oil pan/crankcase mating surface/shape/design that requires a PITA to produce oil pan?
Plastic pan needs plastic plug.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Received 605 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Zack23434
The plastic can was designed for the plastic plug but there are at least 2 aftermarket companies offering billet replacements. The plug doesn't have to be plastic, after all the pan is bolted to a casting.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by N4HHE
The plastic can was designed for the plastic plug but there are at least 2 aftermarket companies offering billet replacements. The plug doesn't have to be plastic, after all the pan is bolted to a casting.
Makes sense. I was taking a shot in the dark
Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

you have to drop the sway bar. 4 bolts five minutes.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Zack23434

Yes. I was referring as to why they did a plastic pan in the first place?? If it’s because the crankcase mating surface has a complex design, seems the plastic pan with its documented deficiencies is self defeating 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 02-11-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by noclutch

Yes. I was referring as to why they did a plastic pan in the first place?? If it’s because the crankcase mating surface has a complex design, seems the plastic pan with its documented deficiencies is self defeating 🤷🏻*♂️
I think in the end the answer to the question is...$$$$$$$$$ Even if we think plastic would cost more, it obviously isn't costing Ford more then another material or they'd most likely be using it. IMO
The following users liked this post:
N4HHE (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

18 with aluminum pan.

My first oil change no oil hit the sway bar. My second oil change it did. I obviously jacked it up differently between the oil changes. I cannot remember which way though..... But you can change the oil without it hitting the swaybar.
Maybe I jacked it only on passenger side, then lowered it after most of it had drained??

Quick Reply: 3.5 EB first oil change observations