Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 3.5 possible issue. Any input appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts
Default 2019 3.5 possible issue. Any input appreciated.

1.) So today I noticed with windows down, whenever taking off from say a stop sign, I hear an audible click. Just one click. Hard to tell where it's coming from. Probably driveshaft I guess.

2.) After hearing this, I realized, it's similar to the click I get if I'm just sitting in the driveway, and cyling through park, drive, reverse....I'll hear a click. It's the same sound honestly. Also here kind of a ping, metal sound sometimes. I assume this is all the driveshaft/u joint, and having too much play. I know people say you can grease the slip yoke and all that. But...my truck has 12k miles on it.

I guess my question here is. State your year of truck, and mileage and if it does the same thing mine does. #1 or #2.

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:31 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

I realize you really want to know what’s going....
But you are under warranty, just take it to the dealership and let them fix it (unless they say it’s normal).
Even if they don’t actually fix it, they’ll still tell you what is making the noise. No need to guess.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
I realize you really want to know what’s going....
But you are under warranty, just take it to the dealership and let them fix it (unless they say it’s normal).
Even if they don’t actually fix it, they’ll still tell you what is making the noise. No need to guess.
Right. My faith in dealerships is....bad.

I had a 2018 that was in four different dealerships for 3 months for an issue they couldn't figure out. The truck was boughtback and replaced...with this one.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:44 PM

Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by jalcon
1.) So today I noticed with windows down, whenever taking off from say a stop sign, I hear an audible click. Just one click. Hard to tell where it's coming from. Probably driveshaft I guess.

2.) After hearing this, I realized, it's similar to the click I get if I'm just sitting in the driveway, and cyling through park, drive, reverse....I'll hear a click. It's the same sound honestly. Also here kind of a ping, metal sound sometimes. I assume this is all the driveshaft/u joint, and having too much play. I know people say you can grease the slip yoke and all that. But...my truck has 12k miles on it.

I guess my question here is. State your year of truck, and mileage and if it does the same thing mine does. #1 or #2.

Thanks.
My 2018 and 2015 make all kinds of mechanical noises

Honestly, i wouldn't worry about it. Trucks have a lot of backlash/play in drive-line components in relative comparison to a uni-body passenger car.
It could very well be your differential gear backlash, or even brake pads moving in their carrier..who knows

If you take it to the dealer you're just going to waste your time... a slimy mechanic is going to road test your truck, do some burnouts in full throttle, and then a couple of panic stops around the block and come back to say "No trouble found" .... not work the time and effort.... I know as well as you do, Ford technicians cant diagnose anything if their life depended on it...See my sig on my 2018

just enjoy the truck and motor on...

good luck
Old 04-07-2020, 05:47 PM

Received 416 Likes on 229 Posts

The 10 spd transmission makes a lot of "normal" noises. I drive through a parking garage everyday. I can really hear the strange noises quite well in a quiet garage. It is always the loudest when leaving work at night and the transmission is cold. I hear "clinks/clicks" with every gear shift.

Quick Reply: 2019 3.5 possible issue. Any input appreciated.