Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 5.0 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2018 5.0 Engine Replacement

I purchased a used 2018 5.0 last October with about 16k miles. I purchased from a Ford dealership but since it had modifications to the exhaust it was not offered as a certified used Ford truck. I eventually started noticing the noises associated with the 2018’s. I took the truck back to the original dealership in January and they acted as if everything was fine and normal. I lived with it for about a month and then took it to a different dealership and they said it was normal. By this time I was due for an oil change. After the oils change they said I was 1/3 of a quart low. I started checking the more often because of this. I finally accepted the noises since there did not seem to be a fix. I drove the truck a few more months and had another oil change and dealership said it looked fine. I didn’t agree and took it to a different dealership and began oil consumption test. The first 500 mile check checked out and dealership said come back in 1500 miles. On Wednesday before we leave for vacation I went back for the check and the dealership called back saying I the truck failed the consumption test and they are ordering me a new engine. However, it will take a week to come in. I told them I’m about to drive 1,000 miles round trip and wondered if it would be ok. The service advisor said sure. I really am mad needing a new engine but it seems my only option is to get it replaced. From what I can tell in South Carolina there are no lemon laws for used cars. My other complaint is the hit to my truck’s value. I know it will lose money over time but I feel like this will accelerate the loss. Should I still take the truck on my trip? Just looking for some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

It pains me to read these '18/'19 problematic 5.0 stories like yours.

In your case it is what it is. Unfortunately, those are cards you were dealt.
Get the engine replacement and hopefully the new engine won't have the same oil usage issue.

There's always the option albeit an expensive one to trade it in for a new eco-boost truck once the engine replacement is completed.
Think positive and good luck.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

I would go ahead and take your road trip, just carry some extra oil, and check it every fill up, and add if needed.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

How much is it going through? 1/3 quart at an oil change? That's hardly measurable.....
The following 2 users liked this post by lutter5-0:
chimmike (07-05-2019), idrive (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
How much is it going through? 1/3 quart at an oil change? That's hardly measurable.....
Down about quart in less than 2k miles. Thanks again for responses. Dealership called back said no reason to not drive on my trip. I don’t want to be stuck on the side of road but I will check before I leave and maybe halfway through.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,503 Posts

It's burning some oil thanks to the cylinder liners. There are millions of older cars out there that burn a little oil... that's why most owner's manuals still tell you to check the oil at each fuel stop. Just put some oil in it from time to time and you'll be just fine... it's not like you have a ticking time bomb that could send a piston through the case at any second.

Quick Reply: 2018 5.0 Engine Replacement