Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 3.5 Noise/Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 3.5 Noise/Rattle

I have a 2018 3.5 Ecoboost that I bought recently with 50k on it, certified preowned. Shortly after I bought it I noticed a really loud rattle that last for several minutes at startup when cold. It quiets down once the truck gets heated up. I took it back to the Ford dealer and they kept it for a few weeks and their answer was "some of the trucks on the lot do it some of them don't." Maybe some of you can take a look at this video and just say "yeah not normal" or "yeah its normal" before I try scheduling a follow up at another dealer. They said it already had the phasers done in November and it lasts several minutes not a few seconds. It seems like most of the sound comes from the passenger is side. There doesn't seem to be any discernible performance issues from it, it pulls really strong but this is my first ecoboost so I don't have a reference point. Thanks!

edit: not really worried about a diagnosis either, I know that’s hard from the video. More just a confirmation if I’m worrying about nothing.

Last edited by deception_tx; 03-08-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Hard to tell, need longer video of the side that you're hear the noise on. I have not noticed any particular concerning noises on my truck. The turbo chargers are down toward the back of the motor and there are waist gates that function there on each side of the engine. Not saying that is it but those are components that can be cycling in that area.
The following users liked this post:
deception_tx (03-09-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rightway
Hard to tell, need longer video of the side that you're hear the noise on. I have not noticed any particular concerning noises on my truck. The turbo chargers are down toward the back of the motor and there are waist gates that function there on each side of the engine. Not saying that is it but those are components that can be cycling in that area.
good call out! I was able to put a little pressure on the wastegate actuator and that made the rattle go away while I had pressure. Just dropped it off at Ford, hopefully it gets fixed!

Quick Reply: 2018 3.5 Noise/Rattle