Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F150 10 speed problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 F150 10-speed transmission problems

Well, as a once proud owner of a 2017 limited, my 500 mile truck has been in the shop for 5 days with the transmission not shifting / engaging into gear. I read on the Raptor forum another owner of the 10 speed having issues as well, and has been out his truck for almost a month.

Dealer / Ford are scratching their collective minds and running "new" diagnostics each day with no answers or resolution.

Hoping the "undisclosed" transmissions problems I read Ford was having back in December have truly been resolved. Any other owners having this issue, please let me know if & how it was finally fixed...

Sucks not having use of your $65k vehicle..

Last edited by Pavman; 03-01-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Ouch. My condolences brother and I know exactly how you feel. Before switching to Ford I had a GMC Denali that spent nearly two out of 18 months in the shop. My recommendation would be to develop a good rapport with your service manager and politely but firmly raise a stink. Get them to fight on your behalf with Ford for proper compensation. Good luck with the warranty.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Airstreamer

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

So, do you have 2 different behaviors? (Sometimes not shifting between gears, sometimes not engaging at all.) Or are using different phrases for the same thing (not shifting into gear / not engaging, i.e. the truck never moves when you put it in D.)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanks HevyCal..

GearheadGeek:

The issue started a week prior as intermittent but is now almost always... The truck shift lever will physically move and the dash indicator will also show in the correct position that corresponds to the shift lever position; however, the truck will just rev as it is in neutral and not move at all. During this time a noise that could be best compared to a loud vacuum pump will come from the transmission. hope that is a better description of my situation..

p.s. after starting and stopping the truck 10 to 30 times the problem has sometimes disappeared, only to return later.

Google this: "ford delays 10-speed"

Last edited by Pavman; 03-01-2017 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-01-2017, 04:20 PM
Airstreamer

Sound ugly. I knew about the reports of an initial delay on the 10-speed trucks but hadn't heard anything about what the issue or behavior was supposed to be. When did you get your truck and around what mileage did you start to notice the intermittent problem? I'm at 525 miles (took delivery w/ 24 miles) and (knock wood!) I haven't noticed it to be slow to engage. Hopefully it's a problem with that individual unit and they'll put in a new transmission that works well for you soon. Keep us posted!
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 PM

The truck is a special order Limited, I believe from the Dearborne plant. I received it around Jan 5th. The current mileage is 1,260 so this problem started around the 1,000 mile mark. To clarify, it is not slow to engage, it flat out won't engage. before i took it in for service I almost called a tow truck, but after the 50th start it worked... i would say it sounds like a programming issue, but the noise from the transmission is concerning... I hope this is a one off issue...
Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Airstreamer

Originally Posted by Pavman
The truck is a special order Limited, I believe from the Dearborne plant. I received it around Jan 5th. The current mileage is 1,260 so this problem started around the 1,000 mile mark. To clarify, it is not slow to engage, it flat out won't engage. before i took it in for service I almost called a tow truck, but after the 50th start it worked... i would say it sounds like a programming issue, but the noise from the transmission is concerning... I hope this is a one off issue...
Ah, so even when the problem first started it was an all-or-nothing thing, just not (quite) every start. I guess it could be programming, or it could be a servo or actuator inside the transmission having a problem, since everything but the park pawl is electronically controlled there's not much outward indication of whether the computer failed to send an instruction or a servo failed to execute it. The noise definitely sounds worrisome. Again, hopefully the engineers will want to take the whole transmission back to Santa's Workshop and they'll put a new unit in your truck.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 17 XLT w/10 speed and mine clunks and can be jerky here and there. It will clunk eveytime you come to a speed bump right when you gas it again lightly you can hear it clunk into gear. I have also noticed in the morning and mid afternoon(leaving work) it will hesitate to shift into third from first...slight pause but you feel the jerk when it shifts. Should I take it in? I only have 400 miles on her
The following users liked this post:
dsfischer2000 (02-23-2018)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine thunks some times when you slow down like coming to a stop sign if you were going pretty quick before getting on the brakes. And in the same situation you mentioned. Seems pretty normal to me. Mine has not been jerky at all though. *Knocks on wood*
The following 2 users liked this post by BShadows:
dsfischer2000 (02-23-2018), haus_F-150 (07-06-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Received 123 Likes on 71 Posts

Don't have a 17 myself, but my 16 feels a bit thunky and jerky compared to how I remember my 07 being. I'm not worried about it, but there is something there that jerks in these trucks (both when coming to a stop and then initially starting) and it's probably normal. - That is not toward the OP, but to maybe help ease the minds of the couple of posters above me.