Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 EcoBoost Injector Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 EcoBoost Injector Issue

Has anyone else here had an injector issue with their 2017 Ecoboost? FYI, mine is a 2017 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Had it a 6 weeks, only 2700 kms on it.

A couple weeks ago, my truck started to vibrate or shake quite excessively. If the pedal was released, the shaking would go away. Nursed the unit home and took it to the dealer the next morning. When I started it in the morning it was even idling rough.

By the end of the day, the dealer called with the news that it was an injector issue. Parts ETA was 3 days. It has now been at the dealer a week. Getting frustrated, I dropped by the shop to get an update...

The service adviser explained that each cylinder has 2 injectors, and one was intermittent. It took the 3 days to get the injector. After they got the injector, they realized a 'fuel tube' is also required to connect the injector to the rail. It has compression fittings that are only rated for one torque. Now here is where the issue begins - Ford doesn't have any of these fuel tubes!

The parts department indicated that 12 fuel tubes were shipping from the manufacturer to the Ford distribution center. From there it would be a few more days to the dealership.

If all goes to plan, the truck will have been in the shop for 18-21 days. Very frustrating, and seems highly bizarre that any part could be that far away for a brand new truck!
Old 06-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

My understanding is that it's because all (or most) of the new parts are allocated to the assembly line for pumping out new trucks. Doesn't make sense for current owners, but does make sense for Ford being able to produce and sell more trucks. A bit unfortunate. Hope you can get things resolved and enjoy your truck.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If in the US - many states have a 30 days to fix then lemon law option. So you may be able to use that if they have it past the 21 days....
Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

2 injectors per cylinder is right. 1 direct injector, 1 port injector. This is a plus (in my experience with direct-injection-only motors)
Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update. The dealership received the fuel tube for the install last week. Though they would have it back together by the end of the week, but that isn't the case.

Now, there is an o-ring kit required also. This kit is back ordered with no ETA. The dealership was unable to get any sort of timeline from Ford parts. I've been in contact with Ford Canada customer service. Took 2 days to get a callback from a rep. The rep didn't have any further information on the parts status. She said she would call back in a week to check in.

This is getting quite frustrating. By next week, the truck will have been in the shop longer than I was driving it. Beginning to question my truck choice....
Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

My question would be why Service and or Parts dept. did not know what parts were needed to begin with?
Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrks4ever
My question would be why Service and or Parts dept. did not know what parts were needed to begin with?
well it is a somewhat "new" design so unless they have seen a few trickle through with this issue it might take them a little bit of time/learning curve to figure out exactly what parts to replace.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

See if they can source all the parts that make up the o-ring kit separately. One poster here had his trick tied up for many weeks waiting for a kit. Once he contact ford corporate they provided the part numbers for all the parts of the kit separately and all were readily available.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Really unfortunate, sorry you are having issues so early in your new truck. Ask them if they have a 2017 demo truck with the 3.5EB that they can take the parts off of. They could get you back in your truck sooner and replace the demo's parts when the back order comes in.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:38 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Boy, do I know about Ford no ETA on part? I waited 4 months for an occupant sensor. File a complaint with the BBB Auto Line and your case would move a lot faster. The regional service manager called me every week to tell me a bunch of BS about how they don't have an ETA.