Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Order mistake

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2016 Order mistake

So dealer sent me order spec sheet. On my original receipt it states the 5.o engine and 3.73 gears which is what i wanted. Sport FX4 pkg. On the order spec sheet with my VIN they apparently made a mistake and ordered me the 3.31 Ratio. I confronted him and he was very apologetic and not sure how it happened...but it did. Dealer if it was going to be a big issue and if it is he can re-order...because once a VIN is issued changes can no longer be made... which means waiting for who knows how much longer. I wanted to get it before winter. Ordered Oct 13 and got VIN monday and ETA is Nov 26. I dont tow.. and if i do it wont be very much. Will i be unhappy with the 3.31? I currently have a 14 F150 with 5.0 with 3.55 gears and think it has plenty of *****. I dont ever plan to go bigger than 33" tires either. Thanks for reading my long winded reach for advise. Lol. Cheers.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 493 Likes on 352 Posts

I had a truck with 3.23 and a lot less power than what I got now, it wasn't that bad, I'm sure you'd be ok.

BUT, if I ORDERED a truck I'd want exactly what I ordered. Kind of the whole point.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by tanked_darren
I had a truck with 3.23 and a lot less power than what I got now, it wasn't that bad, I'm sure you'd be ok.

BUT, if I ORDERED a truck I'd want exactly what I ordered. Kind of the whole point.
Thats what i was thinking... the rest of the truck is exactly as i wanted. I may settle for the 3.31 and maybe shoot for a free spray in liner or something...
Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 PM

Received 140 Likes on 95 Posts

Since you're not planning on doing a lot of towing, I think you'll be fine. Plus, with the extra hp this year, I doubt you'll notice much difference from your current truck.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by brg2015
Since you're not planning on doing a lot of towing, I think you'll be fine. Plus, with the extra hp this year, I doubt you'll notice much difference from your current truck.
Kinda what I was hoping, didn't really want to reorder as I am not all that patient to begin with haha. Thanks bud!
Old 11-03-2015, 08:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Certainly understand your frustration. I ordered mine as well w the 5.0 and THOUGHT I wanted the 3.55 being a good "compromise" between power and economy. I too will tow NOTHING and the most the bed will see is a couple bags of hockey equipment and maybe a yard of mulch. On my test drive I was floored by the "get up and go" the truck had. Although coming from an underpowered honda ridgeline I may have had a bad comparison. Dealer told me it was a 3.31 and I was sold. I drive mainly highway so the MPG benefit may be negligible but I'll take it. I would not be too concerned w it. congrats on the new rig. our order and build dates are almost identical. like Tom Petty said...."the waiting is the hardest part!"
Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Default 2016 Order mistake

Originally Posted by burns526
Certainly understand your frustration. I ordered mine as well w the 5.0 and THOUGHT I wanted the 3.55 being a good "compromise" between power and economy. I too will tow NOTHING and the most the bed will see is a couple bags of hockey equipment and maybe a yard of mulch. On my test drive I was floored by the "get up and go" the truck had. Although coming from an underpowered honda ridgeline I may have had a bad comparison. Dealer told me it was a 3.31 and I was sold. I drive mainly highway so the MPG benefit may be negligible but I'll take it. I would not be too concerned w it. congrats on the new rig. our order and build dates are almost identical. like Tom Petty said...."the waiting is the hardest part!"
Thanks man... you just made my day. Ya golf club and hockey gear is what i haul most... i commute 70 kms round trip to work as well ao maybe this will be a good thing with slightly better mpg. Congrats on the new rig as well... hopefully the ETA doesnt change!! Unless they wanna deliver it sooner.. haha. Its just funny tho cuz when we did the order i watched him select 3.73. Mistakes happen i guess... dealership has always been good to me so ill try and schmooze something outta him lol.. Tom Petty is alway right!! cheers!!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you watched him select 3.73 I wonder if on the Ford end they're trying to force more 3.31 trucks out the door to get the MPG average that they want by switching it midstream somewhere? I have 5.0 and 3.31 in mine and I put LT tires 33x12.5-20 on it which are 1" bigger and quite a bit heavier than the OEM 32.1" 18" tires and while it feels a little more sluggish than the OEM wheels, it still has plenty of get up and go. If you do end up towing just lock out 6th gear and run tow/haul and you'll be fine.

If you were one that would be planning a big lift and much larger tires though I'd definitely want the 3.55 or 3.73
Old 11-03-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blk04Snake
If you watched him select 3.73 I wonder if on the Ford end they're trying to force more 3.31 trucks out the door to get the MPG average that they want by switching it midstream somewhere? I have 5.0 and 3.31 in mine and I put LT tires 33x12.5-20 on it which are 1" bigger and quite a bit heavier than the OEM 32.1" 18" tires and while it feels a little more sluggish than the OEM wheels, it still has plenty of get up and go. If you do end up towing just lock out 6th gear and run tow/haul and you'll be fine.

If you were one that would be planning a big lift and much larger tires though I'd definitely want the 3.55 or 3.73
Can Ford do that? It seems plausable... maybe they thought i wouldnt notice? Lol. No big lift going on. Maybe a level and 33" on stock 18s. So by what you say I should be fine. Thanks!!!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently put on 275/70/18 KO'S and I have a 3.5 Eco with 3.31 rear tow a boat and toys and it is way more pwr than my 5.4 so you will not notice any loss

Quick Reply: 2016 Order mistake