Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 - F150 2.7L GTDI - Intermittent, Inoperative Air Conditioning Functionality

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,363 Likes on 1,698 Posts
Default 2016 - F150 2.7L GTDI - Intermittent, Inoperative Air Conditioning Functionality

SSM 45961 - Effective Aug 2 2016

Some 2016 F-150 vehicles equipped with 2.7L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection(GTDI) engines may exhibit inoperative, intermittent Air Conditioning(A/C) operation. If unable to resolve A/C inoperative concern after completing Workshop Manual 412-00 Climate Control System diagnostics; perform Powertrain Control Module(PCM) KAM Reset to temporarily clear this condition. Reference Resetting Keep Alive Memory (KAM) in PC/ED Section 2 Diagnostic Methods. Engineering is currently investigating. Do not replace PCM for intermittent A/C concern. To assist with the investigation use Report A Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the Oasis report and submit a Global Concern Report (GCR). Continue to monitor OASIS for future updates.
The following 3 users liked this post by tmcolegr:
adamsF150 (08-12-2016), Coachdad (05-03-2017), Krispy (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcolegr
SSM 45961 - Effective Aug 2 2016

Some 2016 F-150 vehicles equipped with 2.7L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection(GTDI) engines may exhibit inoperative, intermittent Air Conditioning(A/C) operation. If unable to resolve A/C inoperative concern after completing Workshop Manual 412-00 Climate Control System diagnostics; perform Powertrain Control Module(PCM) KAM Reset to temporarily clear this condition. Reference Resetting Keep Alive Memory (KAM) in PC/ED Section 2 Diagnostic Methods. Engineering is currently investigating. Do not replace PCM for intermittent A/C concern. To assist with the investigation use Report A Vehicle Concern link at the bottom of the Oasis report and submit a Global Concern Report (GCR). Continue to monitor OASIS for future updates.
Thank you for sharing these SSM's. I recently had an intermitant A/C issue and have the same vehicle. I have only experienced the issue once and since I couldn't duplicate the concern Ididn't see much to gain by bringing it to the dealer.

If anyone else has this concern please let the thread know so that we can figure out how to excite the concern to ensure Ford addresses it.

-Chris
Old 08-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Size Matters

Received 3,363 Likes on 1,698 Posts

My reason for posting this type of information is to make others aware that Ford recognizes there may be an issue and is working on a solution.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 291 Likes on 195 Posts

So does the a.c. Completely cutoff? Or does it still blow, just not as cold? Sometimes mine doesn't feel as cold as it should be but I haven't figured out if it's just me and it's sweltering out
Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Dave

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Same truck here and same problem. Went out on Friday and didn't work all weekend. Took it to dealer on Monday and it started working again and of course dealer can't replicate the problem so until it does it again, I'm SOL...... Thanks for sharing
Old 08-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Dave

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MagNitto
So does the a.c. Completely cutoff? Or does it still blow, just not as cold? Sometimes mine doesn't feel as cold as it should be but I haven't figured out if it's just me and it's sweltering out
Fan speed works but blows hot air. You 100% will know the difference when it happens.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

As always, thanks for posting this helpful info @tmcolegr.

I also experienced this for the first time this afternoon. I started the truck and noticed almost right away the AC wasn't working. I tried turning it on/off, off auto, max AC, etc. but no luck.

I also noticed that my cooled seats (bottom only of course...) weren't working either at the same time.

About 5-10 mins into my trip, the AC started working again and I could then feel the cooled seats kick in at the same time. Will keep a monitor on how it goes.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Does this only effect those with climate control? I've not experienced this with operating in top temps of 105F (don't have climate control). Blows cool even when trying stop/start feature which I rarely use.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 7thSeal
Does this only effect those with climate control? I've not experienced this with operating in top temps of 105F (don't have climate control). Blows cool even when trying stop/start feature which I rarely use.
Good question, I'm not sure. I do have auto climate control. Up until today, I've had no issues with my AC and we've actually had some pretty hot days in MN this summer.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNSportsman
Good question, I'm not sure. I do have auto climate control. Up until today, I've had no issues with my AC and we've actually had some pretty hot days in MN this summer.
I can confirm that it occurs with manual control AC as well. I picked up a new 2016 XLT 2.7L last Friday and had this exact issue on Monday afternoon with 100 miles on the odometer. It occurred after using remote start, but I've used remote start since so not sure that is related. I drove 5 minutes home with hot air blasting then shut if off for a few minutes and after restarting was still blowing hot air. It seemed to reset overnight because it was nice and cold Tuesday morning and has been since.

Has anyone had the issue occur more than once? Anyone have updates from their dealer? I haven't taken it to the dealer because it only happened once, but I'll be driving 6+ hours with the kids for vacation next week and definitely don't want it to happen again.

By the way, thanks to all for the wealth of knowledge this forum provides...it helped me greatly with my purchase!

Quick Reply: 2016 - F150 2.7L GTDI - Intermittent, Inoperative Air Conditioning Functionality