Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 5.0 167k miles, whirring noise from trans area

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 5.0 167k miles, whirring noise from trans area

I bought the truck in July at just under 164k. It had a bad sensor on the valve body that would shift hard and the P D N R portion of cluster would momentarily go blank. So I replaced the valve body and that corrected the hard shifts and cluster from wigging out. This was done about a 1000 miles ago.

I have replaced the idle pulley and repacked the accessory pulley in front with grease. It was worn and made some noise.

Now hopefully this is the last issue with the truck. It is making a noise where the transmission housing is located. Appears to be more prominent during cold start or when parked at an angle. Still makes a whirring noise often noticeable when my windows are down or radio is off.

Kindly see below videos and let me know what you think it could be? Is there an an oil additive that could help remedy this? It seems like oil level has an effect. Fluids are at the level where they should be and using Motorcraft Mercon LV.

Old 11-29-2023, 04:41 AM

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry I can't be of any help but noticed the same noise on my 2016 5 L as the cold weather came in -10 celcius (14 degrees F) As the truck warms up to normal idle speed RPM the noise goes away. Transmission works smoothly as before with no problems. No sign of leaking transmission fluid. Maybe there is some kind of pump in the transmission that is going out? The sound seems rotational and from this area - my knowledge of this is very limited however.

Last edited by reg boulette; 11-29-2023 at 04:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hiimhaiii (12-01-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiimhaiii
I bought the truck in July at just under 164k. It had a bad sensor on the valve body that would shift hard and the P D N R portion of cluster would momentarily go blank. So I replaced the valve body and that corrected the hard shifts and cluster from wigging out. This was done about a 1000 miles ago.

I have replaced the idle pulley and repacked the accessory pulley in front with grease. It was worn and made some noise.

Now hopefully this is the last issue with the truck. It is making a noise where the transmission housing is located. Appears to be more prominent during cold start or when parked at an angle. Still makes a whirring noise often noticeable when my windows are down or radio is off.

Kindly see below videos and let me know what you think it could be? Is there an an oil additive that could help remedy this? It seems like oil level has an effect. Fluids are at the level where they should be and using Motorcraft Mercon LV.

video 1 cold

Video 2 warm
I think that may be the exact same problem that I've been researching. The noise continues when in park, or driving. It sounds a little like the power steering pump and changes a little when I turn the wheel when parked. But my mechanic couldn't find it and suggested I get a transmission shop to check the torque converter. I have had zero transmission symptoms, just the noise. I'm sure hoping to rule out the TC.

Quick Reply: 2016 5.0 167k miles, whirring noise from trans area