Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 3.5 EcoBoost Service AdvanceTrac/Hill Descent Fault Limp Mode Issue Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2016 3.5 EcoBoost Service AdvanceTrac/Hill Descent Fault Limp Mode Issue Again

So it happened again...

With less than 2,500 miles on the odometer, and while commuting home in the fast lane on a busy highway, with no warning at all, my F150 went into limp mode. Nice.

When this happens, forward drive power decreases by about 90%, and all kinds of warnings appear on the dashboard. These include: Service AdvanceTrac, Hill Descent Fault, See Manual, airbag fault, and the service wrench.

My truck has been at the dealership since Tuesday, and my service representative said that his department is waiting on "Ford Engineering" to provide guidance on how to proceed with the repair. When I pressed the service representative for more information, he said that Ford Engineering's first response was to clear the error codes, try to reproduce the issue, and if nothing happens, give the truck back to me.

First of all, while the error messages were displaying on my dashboard, I limped the truck to the dealer and left it running for my service representative to witness and make note of, which he did (I have photos to prove this). Is this not proof that there are serious drive ability and safety issues with my truck??? And secondly, this is the second time my truck has been to the dealer for this issue (it also happened about 800 miles ago), and everything is documented. Does the second occurrence witnessed by the service representative not count as a reproduction of the issue? Maybe I just need to have the service representative ride along with me during my commutes until the issue happens again, and then we can both get rear ended, or t-boned while making a left turn and the power cuts out. Now, to my service representative’s credit, he said that he was not satisfied with Ford Engineering’s initial recommendation, and that he was not comfortable giving my truck back to me until this safety issue has been fully resolved. But I did mention to my service representative that the throttle body should be looked at, and he seemed unconvinced and uninterested in this idea…

The first time my truck was at the dealership, they performed a "fix" for this issue per a TSB, which involved rerouting the gas pedal wiring harness - which mistakenly, the factory routed behind a brake pedal bracket on a significant number of F150s, resulting in damaged wires and short circuits - and repairing damaged circuits. So rather than replacing the wiring harness, a tech at the dealer repaired the wires with his soldering iron and some electrical tape; in my opinion, this amounts to a band aid fix. And now the safety of myself, my wife, and three kids is riding on the tech's soldering and taping prowess... so comforting.

I have owned my F150 since the beginning of November 2016, and since then, it has spent at least 10 days at my local dealer’s service department. And based on what the service representative told me yesterday, my truck is likely to spend another few days there, rather than in my possession. Ridiculous, if you ask me, as the $53,000 truck I purchased to reliably and safely deliver me to work and other destinations is in fact not reliable or safe at all.

Now that I have blown some steam off, and it is apparent that the TSB fix was not a fix after all, does anyone know is being done to properly and fully resolve this issue? Being that there is a TSB about this issue, there must be others on this forum with a similar (unfortunate) experience. I am interested in hearing any related information that any of you have.

Also, could someone please share contact information for someone (or a department) at Ford Corporate who I can reach out to in order to expedite resolution for this? My goal is resolution and to get my truck (which I love in every other way) back, but my patience is wearing very thin, at some point, I will have no choice but to contact a Lemon Law attorney for council.

Last edited by HBeric; 02-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RRXLTSPORT (04-24-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 1,267 Likes on 843 Posts

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If you haven't already.
HBeric (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Hope its not the cooler throwing crap into engine. Was an issue with some 11-14 ecos. Some drilled holes in their cac.
HBeric (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

First, don't create duplicate threads. I deleted the other one.

Second...
Originally Posted by HBeric
Also, could someone please share contact information for someone (or a department) at Ford Corporate who I can reach out to in order to expedite resolution for this? My goal is resolution and to get my truck (which I love in every other way) back, but my patience is wearing very thin, at some point, I will have no choice but to contact a Lemon Law attorney for council.
Give it enough time and one of the FordService reps on the site will probably swing by.
HBeric (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
First, don't create duplicate threads. I deleted the other one.

Thank you. I couldn't figure out how to delete the first.

Second...

Give it enough time and one of the FordService reps on the site will probably swing by.
Yeah, hopefully so.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by HBeric
Yeah, hopefully so.
or pm them
HBeric (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

I would NEVER accept the Band-Aid repair if it calls for the harness to be replaced. If the Band-Aid was done to keep your truck on the road until the part (which I assume was on backorder) shows up then I would make sure they remember to track the part and schedule you for your replacement and thank them for keeping the truck operational.

Your current problem seems much like the throttle body issue which has been a problem in the past. May I suggest you bring this to their attention. Throttle body.
HBeric (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
I would NEVER accept the Band-Aid repair if it calls for the harness to be replaced. If the Band-Aid was done to keep your truck on the road until the part (which I assume was on backorder) shows up then I would make sure they remember to track the part and schedule you for your replacement and thank them for keeping the truck operational.

Your current problem seems much like the throttle body issue which has been a problem in the past. May I suggest you bring this to their attention. Throttle body.
I fully agree. Full resolution of this issue must happen during this dealership visit. I will accept nothing less. The dealership apparently is going to keep my truck until at least Monday, as they did not call me today with an update. So considering they will have had my truck for six full days, they will have no justifiable excuse for not fully addressing and correcting the issue.

Six full days... I should bill Ford the prorated amount of my loan payment for nonoperation.

Regarding the throttle body, I suggested that the the service representative, and he pretty much disregarded it. But I agree with you in that based on other reports of similar symptoms, the throttle body definitely is a potential culprit.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What was the outcome of this...my truck is doing this exact thing!???
HBeric (06-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by avidbasser
What was the outcome of this...my truck is doing this exact thing!???
Sorry to hear about this, and I feel your pain!

The issue has not been resolved yet, but I have not experienced it in almost 4,000 miles. For about 1,000 of these, I drove with a Ford "flight recorder" connected to the OBDII port to recorder the event if it happened, but it did not. Ford eventually asked for the flight recorder back, so now I am just driving around with my fingers crossed.

My truck will be in the shop next week for some unrelated issues, including bad rear door catches, a creaky center console cover, and a rattling rear seat belt latch. In all cases, they are going to replace the items under warranty.

Was your truck's issue resolved? If so, what was the cause, and what did the dealership do to correct it?