Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 XL 306,000 miles oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 05:24 AM

Received 578 Likes on 391 Posts

Default 2015 XL 306,000 miles oil pan leak

So I the proud owner of a new to me F150 XL with the 2.7 engine. It runs great still has plenty of power. The only issue is the oil pan has a leak. Not much currently, but it might worse, or it might not.

I plan replacing plugs in the next few weeks along with break fluid, and some other fluids I normally do on used vehicles.

My question is about the oil leak. From researching here and on the internet, is the oil pan is plastic in this generation, so it is best to replace it.

Has anyone done this themselves? How long did it take?

Has anybody paid for this to be done, roughly what was the cost? How long did it take?

thanks

Last edited by Mlarv; 03-04-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:17 AM
No fart cans allowed

Received 1,462 Likes on 969 Posts

Can't tell you specifics other than if you don't follow the latest replacement instructions from Ford you may end up with a leak on the new pan. From what I have read, the important thing to get a good seal is to leave everything open a minimum of overnight so you get as much oil out as possible. Evidently oil contamination from inside the engine quite commonly leads to bad sealing. If you decide to do it, do it correctly so you only have to do it once. There are lots of examples on the forum of dealership replacements of multiple oil pans and still ending up with leaks.

Last edited by BadAV; 03-04-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BadAV
Can't tell you specifics other than if you don't follow the latest replacement instructions from Ford you may end up with a leak on the new pan. From what I have read, the important thing to get a good seal is to leave everything open a minimum of overnight so you get as much oil out as possible. Evidently oil contamination from inside the engine quite commonly leads to bad sealing. If you decide to do it, do it correctly so you only have to do it once. There are lots of examples on the forum of dealership replacements of multiple oil pans and still ending up with leaks.
Thanks. I have watched a few YouTube videos, which make it look easy. I don’t have a lift yet, but when I get my new garage built it will have one.

From what I have seen I could do it myself, if doesn’t take to long. Leaving it open over night or even a few days, could be done pretty easy. It is a third vehicle for work, so I can work around the down time. The real problem is my time actually working on it.

Mike
Old 03-04-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

They have a new updated pan with a gasket now.
The following users liked this post:
BadAV (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Magnetic5.0
They have a new updated pan with a gasket now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmh8...nel=FordBossMe

if Ford is saying 3.5 hours that is doable by me. It is great to see the new pan, now to set aside the time to do it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2015 XL 306,000 miles oil pan leak