Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Back up bulb

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2015 Back up bulb

I just bought a 2015 F150 XLT and the book says it has a 921 back up bulb,after looking around all the 921 bulbs I can find have the small white plug on them like the white lights on the back of the cab and lic plate lights,my back up bulb has the wider black end on it like the 3156,so did Ford put the wrong number in my book? Thanks Ken

Took me a while but I found another thread listing all the bulb numbers, Mine is listed wrong in my owners manual.

Last edited by tazmanken; 09-08-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

ever make any progress with this? Thinking of changing reverse, plates and Cargos to LED but unsure if the can-bus is picky or not.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by jcat
ever make any progress with this? Thinking of changing reverse, plates and Cargos to LED but unsure if the can-bus is picky or not.
I put LED bulbs in my cargo,back up and license plate and no issues at all,I ordered the front parking/turn signal led bulbs and tail/brake/turn signal led bulbs.not sure if I will need resistors yet or not,I already have some so if I need them I can hook them up. Wish it would work like my 2015 Harley Trike,I put led tail lights and led front turn signal/parking led's on it and it flashed fast so all I had to do to fix it was turn the 4 way flashers on for a few seconds turn them off and the turn signals flashed great after that.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks like the Sylvania auto replacement guide lists 3156 vs the 921 in the manual. Sounds like Ford hasn't caught their mistake in the owners guide yet.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 225 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tazmanken
I put LED bulbs in my cargo,back up and license plate and no issues at all,I ordered the front parking/turn signal led bulbs and tail/brake/turn signal led bulbs.not sure if I will need resistors yet or not,I already have some so if I need them I can hook them up. Wish it would work like my 2015 Harley Trike,I put led tail lights and led front turn signal/parking led's on it and it flashed fast so all I had to do to fix it was turn the 4 way flashers on for a few seconds turn them off and the turn signals flashed great after that.
For any flashing light on these trucks you're gonna need resistors, no way around it. Unless you can find a replacement plug-and-play relay that works with the lower draw of the LEDs.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 AM

For any flashing light on these trucks you're gonna need resistors, no way around it. Unless you can find a replacement plug-and-play relay that works with the lower draw of the LEDs.
I was told the same thing on my 2013 Ford Edge and it never needed any resistors on it,but its no big deal if I have to put them on my truck,already have them and it only takes a min to install them.
I thought the LED tailgate light bar would have caused a issue after tying it into the tail lights and turn signals but it didn't.

Last edited by tazmanken; 09-22-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:51 AM

They are 3156. I just changed mine.

Sylvania has FINALLY came out with a 3156/3157 (same thing - 3157 will work for a 3156 but not vice versa). I just bought them and they are GREAT!!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/s...bp2/10998324-P

Super bright.

The cargo/3rds are 921, brakes are 3157. I changed them all out to LED. Sylvania doesnt offer a 921 LED so I used Philips, they are great as well. No Chinese/ebay/VLEDs garbage for me.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 PM

Well I put the rear LED turn signal bulbs in my truck and did NOT need any resistors,Turn signals flash normal. woohoo this makes 2 different vehicles now I was told I would have to put resistors on and didn't, maybe Im just lucky I dont know.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 PM
Worst hairday ever...

Received 253 Likes on 165 Posts

As far as I can tell, all exterior lights are controlled by the body control module, unfortunately. No flasher relay that can be swapped for an LED compatible version. It would be great if it could be taught like the TSS modules like with the Harley Davidson's. I put LED's in my front and rear TS and needed resistors. The actual signals flashed at the correct rate but on the cluster the TS arrows flashed fast.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Default My LED bulbs,backup,tail,brake

When I put it reverse the screen on the dash was really bright and I could see really far away just looking at the screen lol

Last edited by tazmanken; 09-23-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Back up bulb