Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 Ignition Cycle Counter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts
Default 2.7 Ignition Cycle Counter

I recently purchased the ODB MX module in order to perform changes via Forscan. The MX module also has an app (completely separate from Forscan) that you can use to connect and view various information about your truck including diagnostic info, dashboards with temps, boost, afr, etc.

Today I was checking it out in more detail and one of the data elements that caught my eye was the ignition cycle counter - It was showing 1,192.

Since the truck is just barley over 6 months old I initially thought that must include the auto start/stop cycles too. However, I tested it out and it only counts when you start the engine from being off/parked - It doesn't add a count when you turn it off or when the auto star stop/stop activates.

Doing the math @ 180 days, that comes out to an average of about 6.6 ignition cycles (starts) a day. Seemed higher then I expected but assume it's accurate.

I would love to see the count that included the auto start/stop cycles. I'm starting to lean towards disabling it if/when I put a Livernois tune on.

Anyway, I found it kind of interesting and just thought I'd share fwiw.

Last edited by MNSportsman; 09-11-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 333 Likes on 214 Posts

How do these data provide practical, actionable information to the daily driver?
Old 09-12-2016, 07:30 AM

Received 557 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
How do these data provide practical, actionable information to the daily driver?
On a stock truck that isn't exhibiting any issues, the data is only informative, not actionable. This is just a subset of info - If you were tuned you might find the dashboards that monitor key engine parameters useful.

I just thought the igniting counter was interesting as I wouldn't of thought it to be so high. It then got me thinking of how many cycles the auto start/stop has added and if I want to continue using it down the road.

Quick Reply: 2.7 Ignition Cycle Counter