Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 Eco Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.7 Eco Oil Leak?

Hey guys,
I came across a 2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost SCAB and I'm thinking of trading vehicles. I've been perusing the boards looking to see if there were known issues with that engine. I'm concerned because this truck is two years old, has had basically one owner, but only has 7000 miles on it. It's been on the dealers lot since mid April. I like the truck and the options it comes with but I'm concerned about the engine. I've read a couple of threads about a nagging oil leak on this engine and when I pulled the carfax, it noted that it had been in the shop for an oil leak repair. Has anybody else with the 2.7 Eco had an issue with oil leakage?
Old 05-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

The oil pan in the 2.7 is plastic and some people have had issues with the seal between the oil pan and the engine leaking. I have 20K miles on my 2016 and haven't had any issues with it, but I've heard of a few here and there. If the repair was done right, you don't have much to worry about.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Had a leak so minor it looked like just a messy oil change. Turns out it was the cheap drain plug. The dealership does not offer a replacement "O" ring so I bought a handful of the plugs from Amazon. I plan to replace the drain plug about every other oil change.

As far as the pan, no issues.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 243 Likes on 162 Posts

Mine's been bone dry since it was new. Hasn't leaked a drop, as far as I can tell.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 137 Likes on 86 Posts

Mine is leaking again.. will time next try for the dealer with an oil change.. this will be the third free oil change. I recommend the v8. Oil leaks are a quality issue... i don’t want to be the princess and the pea... but i don’t like oil leaks. I am too damn old to think anything made of plastic (2.7 pan) is any good or will last..
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 432 Likes on 331 Posts

yes but that AL body or the new fangled fuel injection system is OK right?

Sorry but I get sort of tired about people complaining about one new design item or another but ignore the numbers of other changes and advancements in the other related products. Like I guess variable valve timing is just a recipe for disaster today too.

Anywho - yes it is a quality issue - for a large number of the leaking engines it was due to lack of sealant applied to the pan at the factories and in some other cases a lack of proper cure for the sealant. There are more 2.7L ecoboosts that don't leak that those that do. For most the repair is as simple as replacing the pan. I've partially convicned there are also a number of leaks due to the pan warpage due to over tightened bolts.

To that end my 2.7L is leak free and so far so good. If it does leak and I'm past warranty time I'll replace the pan myself and know it was done right. I'm about half convinced that a number of the return leaks are due to improper install by shop monkey tech.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

No oil leaks here on my Aug 2015 build.

I suspect that you are not a good candidate to be a used car buyer.

I recommend you buy new -- you should pick the manufacturer that has the longest warranty (which doesn't mean they have the fewest issues, it's just insurance as they don't know what issues they have).
Old 05-21-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 855 Likes on 373 Posts

We could do a roll call of everybody that's a member here and let them weigh in on their 2.7's but that really means nothing. I'd suggest that, if it's not leaking now, it's fixed. If not, they'll fix it. If you like the truck and the deal is good, buy it.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm having the same issue...have you found any resolution from ford about this?

Quick Reply: 2.7 Eco Oil Leak?