Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 F150 5L Lariat Transmission seems to have a problem when towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 F150 5L Lariat Transmission seems to have a problem when towing

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem before? I bought a 2016 F150, 5L, automatic, Lariat. Drove it for just over 1500Miles, used it to tow my 18' Lowe 4 times, including 1 trip of 100 miles one way, didn't have any problems. Parked it for a few days, and this last Friday, took the same 100 mile trip with the boat that I took 3 weeks ago.

As soon as I left the house, the truck acted funny, when I slowed down at the first light, it felt like the truck down shifted hard, through me forward a little and I was not expecting it. I never felt the truck doing this before. I was paying any attention to the gear since I wasn't expecting it.

After that, I looked at the tranny indicator more closely. It seems the tranny is down shifting at the wrong RPM or whatever, causing the engine to rev high (2500 when dropping down from 3>2) and slow down the truck like you are using the engine to brake. Sometime it will do it from 4>3 and 3>2, but not always. If you let it cruise to a stop, it may often skip 2 and go from 3>1 when the speed it slow enough.

I drove it the whole trip like that, upshifting seems to be OK in most cases, I did catch it rev much higher than normal in 2 (4500 and I was not pushing the gas paddle hard at all), if I slow down and let it down shift to 2 and accelerate when it's still in 2. Sometimes this happens in 4th as well, but not nearly as often.

I used the tow mode and the boat is about 3500Lb. It seems to act the same no matter if I use T or S or normal. If I unhook the boat, I did not notice that downshift problem, but it does also skip the 2 gear and go from 3>1 in some cases, but not nearly as often. I don't know if this truck did this before(3>1 directly and skip 2nd) since I never paid close attention (maybe someone can tell me), but the hard down shift is definitely new.

I'm not sure if I have described this clear enough. Already took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Has anyone else seen or knows about this problem, or if this is a problem?

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:05 AM

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson_ohio
Has anyone else had or heard of this problem before? I bought a 2016 F150, 5L, automatic, Lariat. Drove it for just over 1500Miles, used it to tow my 18' Lowe 4 times, including 1 trip of 100 miles one way, didn't have any problems. Parked it for a few days, and this last Friday, took the same 100 mile trip with the boat that I took 3 weeks ago.

As soon as I left the house, the truck acted funny, when I slowed down at the first light, it felt like the truck down shifted hard, through me forward a little and I was not expecting it. I never felt the truck doing this before. I was paying any attention to the gear since I wasn't expecting it.

After that, I looked at the tranny indicator more closely. It seems the tranny is down shifting at the wrong RPM or whatever, causing the engine to rev high (2500 when dropping down from 3>2) and slow down the truck like you are using the engine to brake. Sometime it will do it from 4>3 and 3>2, but not always. If you let it cruise to a stop, it may often skip 2 and go from 3>1 when the speed it slow enough.

I drove it the whole trip like that, upshifting seems to be OK in most cases, I did catch it rev much higher than normal in 2 (4500 and I was not pushing the gas paddle hard at all), if I slow down and let it down shift to 2 and accelerate when it's still in 2. Sometimes this happens in 4th as well, but not nearly as often.

I used the tow mode and the boat is about 3500Lb. It seems to act the same no matter if I use T or S or normal. If I unhook the boat, I did not notice that downshift problem, but it does also skip the 2 gear and go from 3>1 in some cases, but not nearly as often. I don't know if this truck did this before(3>1 directly and skip 2nd) since I never paid close attention (maybe someone can tell me), but the hard down shift is definitely new.

I'm not sure if I have described this clear enough. Already took it to the dealer to have it checked out. Has anyone else seen or knows about this problem, or if this is a problem?

Thanks.
Mine has this problem but it's not consistent. Doesn't happen very often and I haven't noticed it while towing. Let us know what the dealer finds...

I had the 5-4 downshift TSB done on mine which corrected that problem but I have noticed the downshift jerk a few times since.

Edit: Just thought I'd add that in previous model years, a TSB was issued for something similar (same transmission) and their fix was to grease the driveshaft splines.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/fixes-...-shift-204356/

Last edited by gopherman; 09-20-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 AM

Received 74 Likes on 50 Posts

Mine only shifts like that in sport mode.

Does the truck still think the trailer is hooked up ? These trucks don't know unless you tell them. I'm just throwing out guesses , stuff you could check without the dealer.

Quick Reply: 16 F150 5L Lariat Transmission seems to have a problem when towing