Topic Sponsor
2015 - 2020 Ford F150 General discussion on the 13th generation Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 speed, 10R80 transmission issues debacle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 10 speed, 10R80 transmission issues debacle

2018, 100k miles on it. no transmission issues until Saturday. was pulling a small (empty) utility trailer on back windy roads in tow/haul mode. Transmission went "bang" and i no longer have gears 3-7. And every time it shifts from 2 to 8, it bangs again. the wrench light is on.

From everything i have read, the transmission will need rebuilt with the new clutch design or else replaced (cost somewhere between $6k and $9k). but here is the real debate.
option 1) my large local dealership can't even look at it until July (3 months) and then who knows how long to fix. I read in a previous post there may be a nationwide shortage of these transmissions?? i spoke briefly with the service manager and he said he wasn't aware that these issues were common. when i said that not having a vehicle for 5 months wasn't an option, he suggested maybe i should trade it in. i would guess the hit would be significant for the current transmission issues. Also, if i were to buy another truck, what year did Ford fix these transmission issues?

option 2) The other local dealership said they could look at it in 2 weeks, but their transmission guy just quit so they didn't know how long to fix it.

option 3) a reputable non-ford shop that i typically use for repairs can look at it tomorrow, but if it does need replaced and a ford replacement isn't available, they would replace with a Jasper. I also read on a previous thread that it would still need to go to a Ford dealership to be programmed, but not sure if that is true.

i drive my truck daily. i can borrow a vehicle short term if needed, but obviously prefer not to. This is a mess. what would you do?

Last edited by 80cj; 04-01-2024 at 11:52 AM. Reason: additional question
Old 04-01-2024, 02:20 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

If it is covered under any kind of warranty I would really try and get a dealership to look at it. If you know you are going to be paying for it avoid the dealership and find a good independent shop. I wouldn't be worried about a Jasper or any other rebuilt trans, shops like that rebuild enough of them that they are on top of the updates needed for the parts. Sounds like there is a bit to the reprogramming but it doesn't have to be done by Ford, there are other options that independent shops can do.. As far as trading it in that would not be an option for me, you will be taking a $15k hit for the trans not working.

Last edited by onestout; 04-01-2024 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 10 speed, 10R80 transmission issues debacle