Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Soft spot in bed with spray on liner fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Soft spot in bed with spray on liner fixes?

Hey everyone-

F150 Rookie here. Just picked up an older F150, my first! Was so excited. 2002 XLT with FX4 package, extended cab 5.4 with a rhino liner sprayed in. Body is in great shape and it is low miles, under 80k, I plan on keeping it for a while. My dads truck and my old one had drop in liners, so was unfamiliar with spray on. Had a soft tonneau cover also, so looked in the bed but never thought to actually check the bed. Rookie mistake.

I get the truck home and start cleaning it out and noticed the bed has a good sized soft spot that crunches. Well, crap. I look underneath and sure enough it has rusted out. It has some weird white pads under the affected area, any idea what those could be? (I can get pictures later when home from work).

Any recommendations on easy fixes to give that area some strength? I am decent DIY'er but on a budget as I just bought a house, hence the need for a pickup, small car wasnt cutting it for projects. Would dropping in a liner over it for rigidness save the bed from getting an actual hole through the rhino liner? My fiance was not happy with me for buying a truck as it was, if this becomes an issue I will be in the dog house for a long time.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Cut out the rust and have a patch welded in, then touch up the patch with rattle can bed liner or cut out the rust to stop it from spreading, thrown in a plastic liner and call it a day.