Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Question on purchasing 99 F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on purchasing 99 F150

My son is looking to purchase a 99 F150 Extended cab 4x4 for fairly cheap money. Truck has 179k on a 4.6 Triton. Normal wear and tear but seems to run well. Truck has two issues.

Rear brake lights don't work including 3rd brake light. Appears blinkers don't work either. I read this can sometimes be caused by a tilt wheel eventually pulling pin(s) out of the multifunction switch connector. I read a tell tale is to put the wheel as high as it will go and if the lights work it's the connetor. I also read though a bad connector will leave the 3rd light working. We moved the wheel and no lights. Any quick thoughts? Fuse? Brake light switch? (Blinkers would work then yes?)

Maybe a bigger issue is the frame. Truck is mostly rust free but passenger rear door bottom is starting to go. Also has a about a 5 inch thin long rust hole starting on the inside of the rocker panel (panel that faces the the bottom of the door) that starts at the rear of rear door. Only body rust on it. I looked at what I could see of the frame through the rear wheel wells and the top of the frame between the rear axle and about 6/9 inches forward of the rear shackle it appears the frame is rusting out. The top of the frame rail has about a hand size section not there. I looked at the passenger side and it looks like the c-channel it's supposed to be. On the driver's side it appears to be an L channel at that spot. If I put my hand in my fingers can go straight down to the inside of the vertical section of the frame rail. My thumb and finger opposed can slide up and down the vertical section. Is this supposed to be there or is a section missing? I'm worrried because it's between both spring shackles and I'm afraid it might be weak. It was hard to tell if the section was rotted or not. My son thought the edges seemed too good and it was factory but I thought I saw rusted, rough edges on the top of the frame rail. If it's bad how bad is it?

top view of frame rail - front to the left

_________________ __________________
\ /
__________________\___/__________________

Shackle Axle Shackle

Gap is where I thouoght missing section was. It was hard to see and I didn't have much time as I noticed just before I had to leave. Spare tire mechanism just below it was a rust mess also.

Seller said it had new shackles and they looked it. Also had new exhaust and it appeared to have a shiny gas tank so possibly replaced also? Engine sounded really smooth and no smoke. Possibly a slight piston slap/slight knock when first cranked? Seller said he hadn't started it in a week when I asked.

Thanks a bunch! Hope to make this a regular destination!

Rick

Last edited by rheckber; 05-16-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, my ascii art isn't working too good. It's supposed to represent a roughly v-shaped section missing on the top of the frame.

Quick Reply: Question on purchasing 99 F150