Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Paint protection ideas/options

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Paint protection ideas/options

I recently noticed that I'm getting way too many rock chips in my paint from my tires. Mostly on the front doors where the small rocks kick up out of the tread and miss the side steps as well as the fender flares. I attached a pic that shows the area.

Any thoughts on how to cover or protect this area without it being an eye sore to look at? Most mudflaps are not meant to work with these flares (the ones I've seen) so maybe a piece of clear bra or maybe there is some vinyl wrap that can be color matched exactly to my doors?

I do not want the fix to be readily visible if at all possible. This truck only has 22k miles on it and at this rate will have no paint left in this area by the time I hit 30k. It seems that the clear coat and paint on these 2015's is pretty soft and scratches or chips very easily.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some clear PPF (paint protection film)
Xpel and Suntek are very good products, cant speak for 3M PPF.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clear Bra

Originally Posted by KineKilla
I recently noticed that I'm getting way too many rock chips in my paint from my tires. Mostly on the front doors where the small rocks kick up out of the tread and miss the side steps as well as the fender flares. I attached a pic that shows the area.

Any thoughts on how to cover or protect this area without it being an eye sore to look at? Most mudflaps are not meant to work with these flares (the ones I've seen) so maybe a piece of clear bra or maybe there is some vinyl wrap that can be color matched exactly to my doors?

I do not want the fix to be readily visible if at all possible. This truck only has 22k miles on it and at this rate will have no paint left in this area by the time I hit 30k. It seems that the clear coat and paint on these 2015's is pretty soft and scratches or chips very easily.

This is an extremely common thing with not just trucks but anything with wider or stickier tires that throws stones up against the side of the vehicle. Best bet is to get clear bra installed as it'll match the finish/shine of your paint and won't be that eye sore you were worried about. Google paint protection film in your city and then go to a couple shops so you can see their work firsthand. This will also let you gauge their customer service quality too. Ask for wrapped edges where you can, and be sure to protect all of your high impact areas as we often see F150 owners protect the front bumper, headlights, side mirrors (if painted) and even the hood and front fenders.

Quick Reply: Paint protection ideas/options