Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:49 AM
Star Lord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nightmare...

Ok, so here is the skinny. i have an 07 that spent a few years in Canada, then most of its life in MI. now im in OK every shop that sees my truck freaks out over the rust on the frame and under-body.

well i want to drive this truck for a while longer so i have a plan just want to see if yall think its a good one.

first i need to address my bed, rust under it, rust in the corners all 4 sides and rust in the wheel wells. looking at it i think it would be easier to cut that sucker off like a saturn rocket and go to my local upull (there are about 8 04-08 F150's there and it only cost $225 for a bed!) after that i have an angle grinder, wire wheels, and some apple cider vinegar for the frame to clean it.

then Amazon and Home-depot had some specials on rustoleum, i have 10 cans of their automotive rust reformer and like 15 of the professional rubberized under-body coating.

so my plan is to clean, reform, and cover/protect. my question's are

is this a good plan? and tips or tricks to help if it is?

then one big question is i want to cover my rockers and up a little, i have the dual paint on my truck, could i cover that bottom strip with the undercoating will it hold up well or will things like UV break it down?

ill try to add pics soon

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Star Lord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here are some pics of the cab corners and rockers...

Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this link will work as it is to another F150 forum but I just did this. It was quite intensive. I did use some bondo on the corners so we'll see how it holds up:

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/4...ml#post1192766
The following users liked this post:
ji603 (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by kcooper99
Not sure if this link will work as it is to another F150 forum but I just did this. It was quite intensive. I did use some bondo on the corners so we'll see how it holds up:

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/4...ml#post1192766

i checked out your post on that forum. Good stuff. I have had to fix some rust on mine, even in AZ... that MI truck in OP looks like a lot of work - no wonder OK shops freak out when they see it... unusual outside of rust belt states.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would cut the rust out an get the replacement panels an weld them or braze them in, then put a lil filler on parts that needed to be level, an spray inside of the rocker panel with weld though primer an after it painted use 3m rust preventor spary, cause if leave the rust it will come back an on the surface rust use a rust naturalizer

Last edited by James Wiley; 12-11-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Nightmare...