Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Front bumper rock chips...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper rock chips...

So ive got some rock chips on the front bumper of my 7 month old 2012 fx4 screw eco, and the rock chips are starting to rust and bubble already??? is this normal, im thinking im going to take it to the dealer and demand that it be repainted, and if it happens again that they repaint the whole truck a different color, i have white right now and it is totally unexeptable that my 7 month old truck that gets washed once a week and has never had any salt sit on it for longer than a few days should be rusting... its total bs, other than that i love the truck
Old 06-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Nut up or shut up

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had very few on my 2004 SCREW but I got it fully repainted last week.. It happens but honestly if you want to try to see if theyll repaint it. Or plastidip the bumper for protection
Old 06-09-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesbeast
So ive got some rock chips on the front bumper of my 7 month old 2012 fx4 screw eco, and the rock chips are starting to rust and bubble already??? is this normal, im thinking im going to take it to the dealer and demand that it be repainted, and if it happens again that they repaint the whole truck a different color, i have white right now and it is totally unexeptable that my 7 month old truck that gets washed once a week and has never had any salt sit on it for longer than a few days should be rusting... its total bs, other than that i love the truck
Repaint it and try one of them protective films like 3m makes in the bumpers, hood, rocker panels etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by jakesbeast
Is not total bs. It's science. Rust doesn't need salt to form. Just moisture. Bare metal left over night, on a night with some humidity will rust.

If a rock chips your paint down to the metal, rust will happen. Simple as that.

Going back to the dealer to "demand" they fix it? Good luck. You will pay for it. Unless your dealer has a warranty deal that covers chips like mine does.

Rock chips are a fact of life. Your paint is not impervious to them.

If they actually agree to repaint it look into a clear bra system after they do it.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 06-16-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
Is not total bs. It's science. Rust doesn't need salt to form. Just moisture. Bare metal left over night, on a night with some humidity will rust.

If a rock chips your paint down to the metal, rust will happen. Simple as that.

Going back to the dealer to "demand" they fix it? Good luck. You will pay for it. Unless your dealer has a warranty deal that covers chips like mine does.

Rock chips are a fact of life. Your paint is not impervious to them.

If they actually agree to repaint it look into a clear bra system after they do it.
Exactly. I can not stress the clear bra system enough. The OP sounds like me, in that he hates rock chips. If they bug you that much, then you must get the clear bra system. Only use the 3m or Durashield systems though, I have seen other brands out there that are cheaper, but they yellow over time. Both 3m and Durashield stand behind their product for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Front bumper rock chips...