Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Repair or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or replace?

I took my '14 f150 in for a brake job at he dealer and asked them to investigate a transmission shudder problem at highway speed. It was also hard shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 during the winter. After the brake job, they concluded the auto tranny's clutch unit was going out and they recommended a complete replacement of the transmission, costing $4,800. They said just fixing the problem would not be a good idea because the new trans would have a 3 year warranty, versus 2 years only on the replaced parts but no guess on what the repair would cost until they tore into it. I chose to pay for the brake job and think about it.
Some background: About a year ago, I had a rough idle and it was determined that a compression problem in one cylinder would require a new head. That was done under warranty before 100k rolled up. So the engine is running well with a new head.) Now the truck has 120K miles.
So, what would you do? Sink $5k into a new transmission or buy a new truck? I had hoped to keep this one a couple more years until I retire.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

I thought there was a recall/tsb on the lead frame issue in the transmission.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
I thought there was a recall/tsb on the lead frame issue in the transmission.
no recall, just extended coverage on it. Recall for a PCM reprogram on it

Quick Reply: Repair or replace?