Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Old 1997 4.2 4x4 won't start for first time in 2 years -- nonmechanic in rural alaska

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old 1997 4.2 4x4 won't start for first time in 2 years -- nonmechanic in rural alaska

Greetings:

I just joined the forum a couple days ago and was bragging on how my 1997 2500$ f150 4x4 4.2 had never failed to start.

I guess I jinxed myself. Today I went to start it. It turned over and made a whirring noise and didn't start. Then it started and I drove it home from fishing. Later, it started right up. Then when I went to start if this evening, it turned over a couple times and made the whirring noise.

That is what it has continued to do and won't start. It turns over a couple times, then no more, and makes the whirring noise.

I I'd be interested to know what sorts of things could be causing this. I'm not a mechanic. Unless it is simple, I probably can't fix it. And simple for me means not much more than loose wires, changing oil, plugs etc. I did have the truck at the brake shop last week and had the front brakes replaced. I was happy with that service and can't see how it could be related unless there is a loose wire or something. The whole truck is loose wires so to speak...

I'm thinking it has to do with the starter. Is there any way to tell about that easily for the non mechanic.

Any advice will be much appreciated. This is a 2500$ truck I use in rural alaska to go to the store and work and nothing more... except fishing! Mechanics are hard to find here and are really expensive so if I have some information on what is likely wrong with the truck it will be a big help.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

If you have a volt meter, make sure the battery is fully charged. Should be about 12.6v when full. 12.00v is totally flat. Make sure the connections are clean and tight.

Alternator should put out 14.2-14.4v when the truck is running.

Otherwise, maybe the poor bugger is just worn out. Maybe it needs a few light slams with a 'persuader' to loosen up mechanical things...

hope this helps
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM

I tested the battery. It good according to napa. There are sparks that arc across the starter relay when I put a screwdriver across it. I cleaned the battery terminals. The car assessores and lights work. Now the truck won't even try to start and I hear nothing from the starter when I try it. My thought is to go get new starter, but I wonder if there is any electrical or other testing I can or should do before doing that. Sorry for the dumb questions, but am not a mechanic. Thanks, mauserdoc.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 496 Likes on 430 Posts

Try tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if you get anymore activity out of it(when the brushes are worn). If it will not crank while jumping the solonoid, you might as well pull the starter for testing. Make sure enging is not seized too.I also have added a second lug to lug gound cable from the negative mounting point on the block down to one of the starter mounting bolts. Alot of time, resistance seems to build up between the engine and starter gound via the transmission bell housing.

Last edited by raski; 07-21-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:42 AM

I tapped but that didn't work. I have tested continuity from starter relay to starter and starter relay as well as battery. All seem ok as best i can tell. Now I have loosened 2 starter bolts. Videos seem to suggest a third. I can't tell where it is. Is it one with the head pointed to the rear of the truck? Sorry for dumb questions but as a nonmech., I'm starting on this at ground level....
Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 496 Likes on 430 Posts

There could be a stud with a nut. You could go to your local parts store and look at a new one.