Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

engine wont start just keeps turning over

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine wont start just keeps turning over

im having problems starting my truck it turns over but wont start
Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!

Year and engine?
Did this happen all-at-once, or has it been getting increasingly difficult to start?
Does it turn over at what seems to be a normal speed?
Has your 'check engine' lamp been coming on before this?
Is it even trying to fire, or just a dead roll-over?
Anything else unusual that has caught your attention? Such as previously idling rough, missing out in the higher RPM ranges, etc.

The more info you can provide, the better we can help. At this point, all I can offer is that it's a problem with spark, fuel, or timing - most likely in that order.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 01' f150 5.4L. From what I read from this and other forums, I've found I have no fuel pressure in the fuel rail. I have spark and the fuel pump relay is clicking so I assume it's working. Gonna try changing the fuel filter first. If that doesn't work, I think I may need to replace the fuel pump.

Last edited by svdpwi; 11-15-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:34 PM

svdpwi - one other thing to check - make sure the fuel rail bypass valve is operating correctly. If it's stuck open - hard to maintain pressure. The quick and easy check is to pull the vacuum line off the valve - if there's any fuel that oozes out - it's bad.

Oh - and welcome to the site!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The more I read of problems like this the more I think I am going to add a fuel pressure gauge to my instruments. all I need to do is decide where to mount the gauge . I kind of like the one that mounts on the pressure test point on the fuel rail, easy to install, and cheap.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 AM
2008 October TOTM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your key is programmed correctly bc this happened to me once and we took it to the shop and they reinstalled a new fuel pump and everything and it still didnt work. Turns out my dad had taken the key i usually use and i had picked up an old one that was not programmed properly and it wouldnt turn over.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

wde3477 - could you tell me exactly where the fuel rail bypass valve is located? Is it on the drivers side of the engine right on the fuel rail. Does it have a red wire going to it. Also, the theft light on the dash does go out after approx. 2 secs after turning the key to the start position so I think thats o.k..
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Not sure about the newer models - it may indeed be electrically-operated nowadays?? It will be on the fuel rail, usually towards the back at the opposite end of the fuel inlet hose.

Another thought - you say you hear the fuel pump relay kick in - but do you actually hear the fuel pump run? It should make a subtle whirring noise for about 2 seconds when you roll the key from Off to Run, before going to Start. If not, need to figure out why it's not charging the fuel line. May want to check your inertia switch - a little bugger usually tucked up under the dash with a reset button.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm not hearing the fuel pump run. I've got 12 volts across the relay and on pin 30 which is the hot to the relay. I've tried swapping relays already, didn't help. Does anyone know if power is fed directly to the fuel pump from the relay?

Last edited by svdpwi; 11-17-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 PM

Pulled the inertia switch and checked for continuity. It checked out good. Leaning towards new fuel pump.

Quick Reply: engine wont start just keeps turning over