Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Can of worms

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Can of worms

I have been looking at intake spacers that will allow 4.6 intake to be used on a 5.4. But I wanna go the other dirrection. Well what i am working on doing is running a stock lightning eaton supercharger on a 98 f150 4.6 and a 5 speed. I still wanna run the heat exchanger and intercooler. Yes i know it would be easier to just do a motor swap but i like doing things differently. What do you think. Anyody know anybody making these spacers??
Old 07-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Will work for parts

I found a guy who says he can make the intake spacers. www.frpracn.com/index.html Looks good what do yall think????
Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a guy that will give you a great deal and will make anything you need out of aluminum....

www.streettosand.com

Dustin is his name, the other option is to get the one for your truck and the one for the 5.4L and fine a good welder and TIG weld them together.....its the easy way out
Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM
mmmm.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude seems legit, and hell, what do you have to lose other than a couple of bucks? right? lol

but think about the drivetrain beefing up youll have to do to back the motor up. oh, and also about how you should beef up your internals and be prepared for some serious engine work once its blows (which probably wont be long). might wanna get a second vehicle before you start this project. its gonna be more than takin to the local shop and gettin them to just "bolt it up"
Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 PM

Im going to say save the time and money and do a diesel swap into the truck.....you can make a diesel make more HP and TQ and still be reliable.... but thats just me
Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Will work for parts

Well I', not going to go crazy with the boost 8lbs max. Until the bottom end gets built. As far as beefing up the rest of the truck I have a 9 inch in my garage begging for a home, on the other hand the tranny I give about 3 months before i need a 6 speed and a BAD clutch. Now all i have to do is con my wife into it.lol I don't think that the old "It will get better gas mileage" would work.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:16 AM
mmmm.....

you just stated a lot of trouble and money. its easier to say it than to do it too. 9" will need a few mods to just be thrown in there. and what 6-speed tranny are you expecting to just slide in there and bolt right up? plus, if you did the tranny swap 3 months after the 9" youll need two different driveshafts made, which is just wasted money. and 8lbs of boost on a stock 4.6 is a lot, especially if you get on it every once in a while and its a DD. basically, you'd have to completly rebuild your motor and it wouldnt be worth it. your talkin about 3-4K if you do ALLLLLL the work yourself and get crazy good deals on all the parts. i would just recommend getting a wrecked lightning and using it as a donor truck. itd be cheaper, more reliable, more powerful, and would make a lot more sense than what your talkin about doing.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 AM

yeah, what he said......
Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Will work for parts

I understand what your saying but, its not my daily just a new play toy. I can do ALL the work myself with the exception of the ecu tune. As far as the 6 speed I don't expect it to just drop in, I was thinking either borg warner t-56. As far as the drive shaft, its not like it would cost 20,000 for a new drive shaft. This is not my first truck to start playing with. My last one went 10.38 down at ennis. It was a 91 chevy s10 with a 9 inch 4 linked rear, powerglide, and a 427 cubic inch small block on the sauce. The only thing i expect out of this truck is to have some fun and haul some building materials every now and then.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM

Whoops! I've spotted a 1985 mustang GT full drag car, 557 stroker, 2-speedpower glide tubbed, for sale!!! What's David's full name?