Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Another idle issue!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another idle issue!!!

Yesterday my truck would start but I have to keep giving it gas to keep it on. It stalls as I slow down or come to a stop. I have to throw it in neutrel and give it gas to keep it from stalling. When it FINALLY does idle, its very low to the point it feels its about to stall. I do have a custom sound system but I dont think that would effect it?? I also recently changed my number 2 coil. I love my truck but it can pricey with all the repairs. I also probably need a tune up. Any ideas guys??? By the way its a 2000 XLT 5.4 triton. Any advice would help. C'mon Good ol bill help me with this!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well thank you, but buddy you're in a world of hurt with my knowledge of the Triton engines. However, your symptoms point to the IAC (idle air control), its the computors answer to the old idle screw of a carb. Has there been any codes thrown? Maybe the check engine light is on? Forgetting the computor stuff, irratic idles are caused by improper mixtures, or in other words, vacuum leaks. Reliable sources say to look at the PCV valve hose routing, especially the elbows for cracks. With out reinventing the wheel, start there. Just reread the thread, and don't jump here first, unless codes say so. A sticky EGR valve will mess up an idle big time. EGR rerouts exhaust air back into the intake. It has to be off when the engine is cold and also when the throttle is closed.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 05-11-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Bill, the check engine light is not on and its not giving any codes??? Someone said it may be the fuel filter. I only know that I hate driving my automatic truck like I have a clutch. (One foot giving constant gas and the other holding th brake)
Old 05-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Filters are a maintenance item, changine them is no harm or foul. Personally if a fuel filter is plugging up it should have an effect on the engines performance at other speed than just the idle.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cleaning out your idle air control valve its a cheep repair also disconnect battery to reset your keep alive memory.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm just a newbie but I have a 97 F150 4.2 that was plagued by the same problem for years. I went through probably close to $1,000 of "guesses" trying to solve the problem. I think Bill is absolutely correct when he points you toward a vacuum leak. After everything I did to mine that didn't work, here's what did work...

A $2.50 T-Connector from my local parts store. Personally, my bad connector was located just beneath the mass airflow sensor intake. I would start with your vacuum lines and work your way backwards. I would also keep an eye out for lines and connections where anything would get really hot near an engine surface, which would speed up the degradation of the rubber/plastic. I hope that your problem is only a $2.50 cure as well!

Quick Reply: Another idle issue!!!