Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4 Mysterious oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 Mysterious oil leak

Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently purchased a used '97 F150 based on my experience owning an E250HD 5.4 Cargo van which I purchased new in 1997. It has 302,00 miles and still runs strong and trouble free. Both have the 5.4 Triton.
The F150 has a slow oil leak coming down the backside of the power steering pump and appearing on the single bottom mounting bolt. I steam cleaned everything a few days ago, changed the oil, and put on about 30 miles to see the start of the leak. The engine has a factory oil cooler and remote filter location inside the front bumper as part of the tow package. Everything is pristine clean at this point so the oil is easy to see. My thoughts are a gasket leak on the front cover where the PS pump mounts. I did manage to tighten 1 front cover stud nut at this area about 1/4 turn. Not much of an improvement. Tonight I see the leak beginning to run along the oil pan gasket towards the bell housing. Any ideas where it might be coming from? Everything is dry above the pump and everywhere else. Are the 5.4 front covers apt to leak? My van engine has been perfect so far, knock on wood. Oh, the truck has 102,000 miles, & runs great. Should I try a conditioner/sealer of some kind instead of tearing things apart?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Am not familiar with the pump, suggest going to Ford parts and looking at a parts diagram, might just be a cover seal or O-ring.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Can't Hurt....Might Work:

A bottle of seal conditioner might slow or stop the leak, providing it is just a slightly compromised gasket at the front cover. If you were able to get a bit of a turn on one of the cover bolts, then procede to try all the others as well.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I might just try a sealer after having a dealer tell me 1110.00 to remove and reseal the front cover. After removing the ps pump and painting the cover/block joint lacquer white, I can see it is a small leak coming from the cover seam behind the pump. Definitely dry above & below this area. Also found another cover bolt hiding behind the pump pulley. Tightened that up a 1/4 turn too. A guy at NAPA didn't think a sealer would do anything for the type of gasket used in this area. I think its a combination of o-ring & RTV. Says they are mostly kerosene to swell gasket material. He recommended cleaning it with chlorine based brake cleaner (TCE) and then spraying it with lacquer paint. The paint works its way inside the joint to seal. Said it was an old racing mechanics trick. Unfortunately it still drips- very slow, maybe I can just live with it and keep cleaning it. Had my first 4 wheel experience this weekend bringing a load of firewood. Crawling up & down some steep hillsides in the woods. Yea, I am going to like this truck

Quick Reply: 5.4 Mysterious oil leak