Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

5.4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4 issues

I have a 2004 F-150 four wheel drive XLT new body style. I bought the truck new and it only has about 26,000 miles on it. The other night I went to the store it was running fine. I parked it for 5 minutes came out started it and while I was backing out of the parking spot I thought I had ran over something I heard a couple of noises that sounded like popping sound. It all happened so fast I really didnt have anytime to pay attention to the noises. I then noticed the check engine light came on and the motor was running rough and has a some what erratic idle. When I start it the idle goes up wards of 1500 RPM put it in gear and goes down normal. Leave in in gear with my foot on the brake the tach dances around low and high. I know the truck is 5 years old but only driving it mostly on weekends and mileage being low I wouldnt think it would need a tune up yet. Also I dont use it for any towing or abuse it in anyway. Its bone stock like it came from the factory. I finally just had to get the first set of new tires because the original Hankooks started dry rotting with quite a bit of tread still on them. What are some problems that could be causing this?
Old 10-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Get the codes read on it. It will give you a starting point. My first guess would be the MAF sensor.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Codes are P0171 lean bank 1, P0174 lean bank 2, P2195 o2 sensor excess lean, SIG B151 ??? and P2197 o2 sensorstuck low signal. Judging by how many times I saw the word lean I am guessing vac leak or fuel delivery issues. I guess tomorrow I will change the fuel filter since its never been done crawl all over it looking for a vac leak even though today when I took it to the shop my father in law works at he sprayed I believe it was carb cleaner around the base of the intake manifold and didnt find anything. I will also see if I can clean the MAF sensor. I dont know anything about Fords if it was a carbed small block chevy I could probably figure it out with my eyes closed and one hand tied behind my back.

One thing I was looking for while my father in law was reading the codes was a place for a fuel pressure tester. I didnt see any place to hook up the tester will I have to cut into the line and make my own? I really dont like that idea if I have to do it that way. Also what are the Fuel pressures I should be seeing?

I have not really looked at it tonight after getting back from the shop I ran out of time but is the intake manifold one piece or multiple peices? If they are known for leaking is there a common place where they normally leak?

I have been researching the codes I got and seems that a lot of people get these same codes but I have yet to find any answers.

I did get gas about 20 minutes or so before the problem started could it be bad gas? I have bought gas from the station about 5 times in 2 different trucks and never had a problem. Sorry to make this so long just frusterated and need any advice I can get to keep from ending up with a big shop bill.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a tap for measuring fuel pressure. It is a pressure release port with a tire scrader valve in it. It's located on the passenger fuel rail. I use mine for a tap for the fuel pressure guage.

"A P0171 lean code for bank 1 is the cylinder bank on the RIGHT (passenger) side of the engine on Ford vehicles with a V6 or V8 engine and rear-wheel drive.
A
P0174
lean code for bank 2 is the cylinder bank on the LEFT (driver) side of the engine on Ford vehicles with a transverse-mounted V6 engine
and front-wheel drive. This code is not set on four cylinder engines (no bank 2).
WHAT A LEAN CODE MEANS
A lean fuel condition may exist if the engine is sucking in too much air and/or the
fuel system is not delivering enough fuel. If bad enough, a lean fuel condition may cause lean misfire, a rough idle, hesitation or stumble when accelerating, and/or poor engine performance.
Unmetered air can enter the engine through a vacuum leak, a dirty airflow sensor that is not reading airflow accurately, an EGR valve is not closing and is leaking exhaust into the intake manifold, an EGR valve that is allowing too much flow (because the EGR differential pressure sensor that monitors EGR flow is faulty and is under-reporting EGR flow).
If the problem is not enough fuel, the underling cause may be a weak fuel pump,
restricted fuel filter, leaky fuel pressure regulator or dirty fuel injectors.
DIRTY MAF SENSOR
One of the most common causes of Ford P0171 and
P0174 lean codes is a dirty mass airflow (MAF) sensor. The MAF sensor is located in the air inlet tube
just ahead of the throttle body. The MAF sensor should be protected from outside dust and debris by the air filter, but sometimes the air filter doesn't fit real tight inside the housing and allows unfiltered air into the engine. Dirt can stick to the MAF sensor wire and form a coating that slows the response of the sensor to changes in airflow. The MAF sensor can also be contaminated by fuel vapors that back up through the intake manifold and throttle body when the engine is shut off."

Quick Reply: 5.4 issues