Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2002 F-150 4wd 4R70W transmission rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow 2002 F-150 4wd 4R70W transmission rebuild

Here is an example of what happens when you don't seat the torque converter properly in the pump, use the bell housing bolts to draw the transmission case to the engine block and start the engine... it breaks the Front pump stator.

I am told this truck was owned by a local power utility company, the front pump seal was leaking. The fleet mechanic removed the transmission, replace the seal and didn't seat the torque converter when installing the transmission. My friend brought the truck at auction and brought to me for repairs.

There is damage to the front pump stator, pump gears, stator sealing rings, forward clutch drum. The forward clutches are discolored and starting to burn and reverse clutches are discolored. Everything else appeared to have little to no wear, even the OD band looked new.

Full rebuild with new gaskets, seals, clutches, replace the broken parts with good used parts and replace the torque converter.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a guy do that same thing to my 1973 Ford with a big block and C6. He told me it all bolted up easy just fell in place. Hired him to put a motor in the truck for me. And cost me a trans to boot.

What kind of miles do you see out of these 4r70W's. The one in my 1999 F150 4x4 has a rebuild tag on it from 2001. Truck has 240,000+ miles on it now. Getting a motor ready to put in the truck. Thinking it my be a good time to get the trans rebuilt while I have the motor out. This old truck will be my daily driver pull the boat and hunt out of. So putting few thousand in it rather then buying a new truck. Its been through a few owners. One from the stickers in the toolbox I would say put some hard miles on the truck. Hunting stickers and mud club stickers were found when I Opened the toolbox. LOL
Pete

Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 4wd 4R70W transmission rebuild