Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

1998 4.6L has skipped timing - my DIY attempt

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 4.6L has skipped timing - my DIY attempt

So my mechanic (reputable) has confirmed my fears. Yes, my 4.6L has jumped timing and my truck is now a VERY LARGE paper weight. He told me that it would be cheaper for him to drop in a used engine still working rather than fix the one already in it. He is estimating around $1900 total. Apparently it would cost too much, since he said all it is good for now is a boat anchor. It just seems to me that I can do a rebuild on my own and save a lot of money, as long as I have it working before it's fishing weather again

I just bought a new house with a 3 car garage, the third to use as a workshop. So I have the space and will soon have the tools (Christmas presents). It has been a long time since I helped rebuild an automobile engine, but I recall a good deal. My problem is this newer engine type - I have never messed with one, so will be coming at it as knowing very little.

The task at hand looks easy enough to just get into the timing, but once I have the engine out, there is always the possibility of more damage than I reckoned on finding, though at this time, it doesn't appear to be so. And since I will have it out, it would be a good time to replace whatever hoses I can. Plus whatever else needs maintenance. I am hoping for less than a complete engine rebuild.

Question for those in the know on this job. Anything specific to look for? What did it cost you to do this? Am I crazy to try this? I always wanted my own little DIY workshop, and since I have 4 kids, it seems like it will get plenty of use. This engine, BtW will need to get my kids back and forth to high school for the foreseeable future, not to mention the trips hauling a boat.

I figure at the worst, my engine will stay broke and I will wind up putting a used one in myself. I can save on labor and have some fun with the kids at the same time. And it seems to make no sense to pay $2000 for an engine when the truck isn't worth much more than that. But if I can pull this off, I can save a lot and also provision my workshop.

Any useful input?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Since it jumped time, my first thought is to pull the heads and look at the tops of the pistons for any visible damage. I would also clean the head up myself or take it to a reputable machine shop, again making sure there is no visible damage. I would also pull the oil pan off after draining everything out and look for bits of metal in the bottom. The gaskets are cheap enough that it won't cost you much just to see what's going on.

On a used engine I would definately pull the pan and look for metal or anything bad on the bottom end. On either engine, make sure you put a hose to the block and flush any old coolant that was left in there. I'm sure some of the more experienced engine builders on here will chime in on other stuff to look out for as well. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Rfjeff9 (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
Since it jumped time, my first thought is to pull the heads and look at the tops of the pistons for any visible damage. I would also clean the head up myself or take it to a reputable machine shop, again making sure there is no visible damage. I would also pull the oil pan off after draining everything out and look for bits of metal in the bottom. The gaskets are cheap enough that it won't cost you much just to see what's going on.

On a used engine I would definately pull the pan and look for metal or anything bad on the bottom end. On either engine, make sure you put a hose to the block and flush any old coolant that was left in there. I'm sure some of the more experienced engine builders on here will chime in on other stuff to look out for as well. Good luck.
I planned to pull the pan for just that reason, but hadn't considered flushing the block. I guess that's a pretty good idea.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rfjeff9
I planned to pull the pan for just that reason, but hadn't considered flushing the block. I guess that's a pretty good idea.
If you're going to replace the fluids anyways, it's a good idea to start fresh with your coolant.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Manuellabour247
If you're going to replace the fluids anyways, it's a good idea to start fresh with your coolant.
I agree, thanks for the input.

The whole project will begin in two months at least. The garage is still slam packed with boxes and whatnot we are busy going through. By the time we get it all sorted and sold or trashed, my tools will be under the Christmas tree.

I am going to make a wish list this weekend.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM

For that matter, any tools anyone would recommend that I wouldn't normally think to get anyway?
Old 11-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rfjeff9
For that matter, any tools anyone would recommend that I wouldn't normally think to get anyway?
A quality thread kit. Should have standard and metric thread taps/dies. I can't even count how many times those have helped. A good set of short and long (8+inch) picks. Yellow and white discs for a die grinder (dotco style). IIRC the yellow disc is softer. Great for removing gaskets without gouging the metals. 2"and 4"scrapers. Not sure on the torque specs, but quality lb.ft. and lb.in. torque wrenches are a good idea. Those can get pricey quickly though. Lol

I'm assuming you have a decent set of tools like short/mid/deep sockets, wrenches, and the basics.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:51 AM

Yeah I have a lot of basics. I had planned to get the torque wrenches and some deep wells for Christmas though.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

The F150 can be a difficult vehicle to repair especially if this is your first time. You will have a lot to learn.

Last edited by papa tiger; 11-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by papa tiger
The F150 can be a difficult vehicle to repair especially if this is your first time. You will have a lot to learn.
I know, but I am eager to do so. I have DIY on a fuel pump, idle air control valve, brakes, cleaned injectors, etc. But this is the first time I will have made the attempt to crack open anything on the engine itself. I should be able to handle it, though. Everyone that has done it had a first time.

Quick Reply: 1998 4.6L has skipped timing - my DIY attempt