Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

1994 engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 engine problems

Hey, i was just looking to get some information about what happened to my new truck i bought. Its a 1994 with some lift and 35's and 100,000 miles. I just recently bought it from my cousin it has the efi 5.0, my brother and i went to get the truck (about a three hour drive) started driveing home stoped to get gas filled up (about 100 miles) and we got back on the interstate. shortly after this I started experianceing some engine difficultys. i was just geting up to speed when the truck shut off i pulled to the shoulder and poped the hood everything looked ok i went throught the fuse box when i found a blown fuse. I replaced the fuse with the original 20 amp and it blew so i figure go for broke and stuck a big ol 50 amp and the truck fired up. I continued to drive for about 8 miles and the truck slowly lost speed. I pulled over and tryed to pull out into traffic agein and it ran just fine so i kept going and it happened agein and for the next 125 mile it did it. It seemed like it was triggered by hills and turns but i could be wrong. Then it died and i went to start it up and it clicked so i poped the hood and it was a loose battery cable so i fixed that and when i started it up it started blowing blue smoke. so i took it to a repair shop and left it there and told the guy to take a look at it and get back to me. he said that is was blowing oil up the dip stick and he thought it was running on 4 or 5 cylinders. How ever he doesent do engine work so i have to go get it. could anyone please help me or at least tell me the possabilitys of whats wrong?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If I understand you right, oil is being pushed up out the didstick tube. Is the PVC valve broken? It should vent to intake. If all is good excessive blow by is bad news, broken rings, scored cylinder, or worse.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV valve

now when it broke down after i filled it up i took off the hoses the the intake and at the time i thought it was fuel but it did kinda look like oil. What does a PCV valve do?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK just relax, I'm still confused, getting info and having trouble sorting it out. PCV valve, its function is to vent the crankcase pressures and not let them get back to our atmosphere. (Emissions). It lets any abnormal pressure in the crankcase (blowby) go back into the intake to be reburned. If it is plugged, pressure will build up and push oil anywhere it can, out the dipstick. Are you with me? Thats enough for now, get back to me with what is happening.

Quick Reply: 1994 engine problems