Best reman' 5.4l 3V motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best reman' 5.4l 3V motor?

Accurate Engines?
Jasper?
Powertrain?

I just found out that the motor in the '04 F150 XLT 4x4 wasn't the original and is too far gone to justify throwing parts onto/into it. Gonna buy a long block and save myself the headaches (and dollars) in the long run. But which is best? I called Accurate and verified that they use a Melling high volume oil pump (most likely the 340HV), but they also use Cloyes parts in the timing set and they lock the phasers, which I am NOT a fan of. They do supply a new program for the ECU, and they claim it'll give you better bottom end and better fuel mileage. They claim a 100,000 mile national warranty, but I'm skeptical of any aftermarket company's warranties.

Thoughts? I'm open to any and all suggestions/advice.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rumble phish,
How's it going? I 'm wondering who did you finally go with? I have an '05 King Ranch and my heads are messed up and instead on spending around $15-$1600 to replace them I figured I'll just go ahead and purchase a new engine. I'm still up in the air about a good vendors as I really want this to last for a while. MY gut is leaning more towards Powertrain and then maybe Fraser's next. I like the fact that Powertrain waves the core charge upfront unless you don't return it and then they'll charge your card. It all comes down to $$$ though.

True
Old 11-01-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All's well

Originally Posted by True55
Rumble phish,
How's it going? I 'm wondering who did you finally go with? I have an '05 King Ranch and my heads are messed up and instead on spending around $15-$1600 to replace them I figured I'll just go ahead and purchase a new engine. I'm still up in the air about a good vendors as I really want this to last for a while. MY gut is leaning more towards Powertrain and then maybe Fraser's next. I like the fact that Powertrain waves the core charge upfront unless you don't return it and then they'll charge your card. It all comes down to $$$ though.

True
I went with a Fraser and at this point I couldn't be happier. Powertrain was my next choice, and it really came down to a guy feeling and coin toss.

FWIW, almost all remanufactured engines are built by the same company and then sold through a second party. This includes Jasper and even Ford. Yes, you read that right. Ford doesn't actually remanufacture their own engines. A company called AER out of Texas does. So really, what your purchasing is service and warranty. Powertrain and Fraser seem to offer the best of both.

Another thing you must consider are all of the external parts for the motor. Intake manifold, water pump, AC system, radiator, etc. It's best to replace as much as you can with new, OEM parts. If you're going to drop $3500 on a motor, don't go cheap on the rest of the parts. Also,most warranties require new parts or pics and certification from a mechanic that the existing parts are worthy. It's cheap insurance in the long run to just replace as much as you can with new. Intake/injectors/throttle body especially.

Right now I'm pushing 6-7000 mils on my new motor/tranny and they're running like a pair of well oiled tops.

Also, Fordtechmakuloco recommends Powertrain. Just FYI.
The following users liked this post:
Mike2147 (02-20-2020)
Old 11-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rumble Fish,
Thanks for responding...I was following Fordtech videos on YouTube and bought the time chain kit, water pump, lashers/followers and all. Then I saw my heads were FUBARed and just decided that before I buy another part I will just go ahead and replace the entire engine. I remember watching one of his videos and he replaced the engine and stated who he got it from but I can't remember which video it was to go back and get the name... so thank you for letting me know. I'm leaning towards Powertrain myself but just trying to do my due diligence.

True
The following users liked this post:
rumble phish (11-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Best reman' 5.4l 3V motor?