Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

Problem with rough idle/dying when stopped on 2015 w/ 130K miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with rough idle/dying when stopped on 2015 w/ 130K miles

Hi all - my first time posting here, so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I purchased a 2015 5.0 w/ 130K miles in January - when I bought it, my mechanic pulled some old codes when inspecting it (this one https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p0022/) - but it didn't have any check engines right then. Then a month or so ago, it started idling rough when stopped, and the check engine light came on for a couple hundred miles - then the dying/rough idling stopped and the check engine was gone.

I tried doing some cleaning of the throttle and fuel system with Seafoam and some fuel cleaner - no noticeable difference good or bad.

Lately the problem has started again - but no check engine light (yet).

I'm wondering if this is at all common on the F150 - and if so, what the likely culprit of it is (bad oil control valve? bad solenoid? something else?) I'm not super skilled w/ auto repair, but I'm learning and can do some basic diagnostic work (and minor repair also).

Anyway - would appreciate any recommendations on what it might be, or how to best identify the cause. And if I need to take it to my mechanic I can do that - just trying to see if I can DIY the fix.

Thanks in advance -

Old 06-14-2020, 11:03 PM

Default Bump

The check engine light came on last week for a few days amd it was running rough, now is back off. Seems like it may be a solenoid or something else failing?

Anyone ever have a similar issue?

Old 01-26-2021, 06:39 PM

Unhappy Same Issue

Originally Posted by brows828
Hi all - my first time posting here, so hopefully I'm in the right place.

I purchased a 2015 5.0 w/ 130K miles in January - when I bought it, my mechanic pulled some old codes when inspecting it (this one https://autoservicecosts.com/obd2-codes/p0022/) - but it didn't have any check engines right then. Then a month or so ago, it started idling rough when stopped, and the check engine light came on for a couple hundred miles - then the dying/rough idling stopped and the check engine was gone.

I tried doing some cleaning of the throttle and fuel system with Seafoam and some fuel cleaner - no noticeable difference good or bad.

Lately the problem has started again - but no check engine light (yet).

I'm wondering if this is at all common on the F150 - and if so, what the likely culprit of it is (bad oil control valve? bad solenoid? something else?) I'm not super skilled w/ auto repair, but I'm learning and can do some basic diagnostic work (and minor repair also).

Anyway - would appreciate any recommendations on what it might be, or how to best identify the cause. And if I need to take it to my mechanic I can do that - just trying to see if I can DIY the fix.

Thanks in advance -

I just recently bought a 2016 F150 and immediately had the same idling issues. Have replaced the Purge sensor, Map Sensor, and Throttle body on it and still having the same issues. Any luck finding the problem on your end?

Quick Reply: Problem with rough idle/dying when stopped on 2015 w/ 130K miles