Topic Sponsor
4.6L 2V Discuss the 2 valve 4.6L here.

Lifter Wreck Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter Wreck Mystery

I have a 2003 F150 4.6L Triton with 158,000 miles runs great, no noise etc...I only put 3000 miles on it this year and 2500 the year before. It's a second car.
Lady runs a light and turns into my drivers side front end. I saw her and slammed on brakes, but she was already turning into me. Left fender dented, left head light, left tire rubs a little on full turn, but NO damage pushed up into engine.
Here's the PROBLEM.
Truck running fine...bam...get slammed into... on re-start Lifters sound like they are about to come out of engine.
Oil pressure good...not overheating.
Insurance will pay for fender etc...but says no way wreck caused engine noise. It doesn't look like it could have to me either...BUT, the fact is it did...but how?
No one has torn down the engine to look, because Insurance tells me that if they find wear and tear they won't pay if can't be proven the wreck caused it...that means I'll be out $1000+ just to find out what's wrong...with no recourse.
I am an honest person and know the impact caused it some way, but how can I prove it? The body damage is minimal.
RECAP:
1. Running Fine no noise
2. Minimal Collision ($1600-damage)
3. Loud Lifter Clatter, Good Oil Pressure
Anyone have any experience with what may have happened?
Also, I am new here...should I post this in another section or is this the best?
Thanks Steve

Last edited by SteveT7; 06-07-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add content, spelling
Old 07-04-2014, 05:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dang man. Rough story. As you can probably tell this isn't a very frequented section. Id say 1997-2003 section is your best bet. Got me stumped too. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 157 Likes on 124 Posts

And you are 100% certain when you were hit that this didn't break the exhaust manifold or head pipe... even just jarred and broke so not necessarily anything hit them? An exhaust leak is a lot more plausible than sudden major internal failure.

Quick Reply: Lifter Wreck Mystery