Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Which Cam position sensor is Bank 2 Sensor B???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:36 AM
TCK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Which Cam position sensor is Bank 2 Sensor B???

2013 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Threw P0016 code, and after pulling the right side valve cover and snaking a remote camera down into the front cover, I confirmed that there were 6 teeth showing on the timing chain tensioner. Time to replace the timing chain and phasors! Did that over the Thanksgiving break and learned a lot about this particular engine. After reassembling and finding all the connections that I had missed, the engine is running nice and smooth with not problems.

Except... yeah, got a persistent P0019 code! Camshaft/crankshaft Bank 2 Sensor B. I probably damaged or didn't seat a connector or the associated wiring during the job. That code wasn't there before, and the timing chain and phasors are brand new. So the question is simply this:

Which of the two camshaft sensors is "Bank 2 Sensor B"??? As far as I can tell, there are only the two camshaft position sensors (right side of the engine, one each for intake and exhaust, both located at the rear of the valve cover). I'm assuming that "Bank 2" is the right side of the engine. So is sensor B the intake, or the exhaust?

I suspect exhaust. Why? 'Cause the first time I reinstalled the right side valve cover, I inadvertently pinched/clamped the wiring harness pigtail for the exhaust cam shaft sensor behind the valve cover, and had to remove the cover (again!) to free it.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Xdm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too!!!!

Originally Posted by TCK
2013 3.5L Ecoboost engine. Threw P0016 code, and after pulling the right side valve cover and snaking a remote camera down into the front cover, I confirmed that there were 6 teeth showing on the timing chain tensioner. Time to replace the timing chain and phasors! Did that over the Thanksgiving break and learned a lot about this particular engine. After reassembling and finding all the connections that I had missed, the engine is running nice and smooth with not problems.

Except... yeah, got a persistent P0019 code! Camshaft/crankshaft Bank 2 Sensor B. I probably damaged or didn't seat a connector or the associated wiring during the job. That code wasn't there before, and the timing chain and phasors are brand new. So the question is simply this:

Which of the two camshaft sensors is "Bank 2 Sensor B"??? As far as I can tell, there are only the two camshaft position sensors (right side of the engine, one each for intake and exhaust, both located at the rear of the valve cover). I'm assuming that "Bank 2" is the right side of the engine. So is sensor B the intake, or the exhaust?

I suspect exhaust. Why? 'Cause the first time I reinstalled the right side valve cover, I inadvertently pinched/clamped the wiring harness pigtail for the exhaust cam shaft sensor behind the valve cover, and had to remove the cover (again!) to free it.
Did you ever figure out which sensor it is and where it is located? I also just did a timing job and am now receiving the P0019 code after installing all new timing components.. could use your expertise in narrowing this down!!!!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
TCK

Not yet! Code is intermittent, and I’ve replaced the sensor (they are cheap). I have a new connector, but am waiting for warmer weather to put it in. Pretty sure this is the exhaust cam sensor. Engine runs great, just have this pesky code that keeps popping up. Be careful removing sensor: the screw holding mine in was so corroded it snapped off. Look carefully at the valve cover: newer ones have a “spare” screw hole. Apparently these buggers are known to break off! Just rotate the sensor to line up the retention screw tab on the sensor with the unused screw hole and use a new screw.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Xdm

Originally Posted by TCK
Not yet! Code is intermittent, and I’ve replaced the sensor (they are cheap). I have a new connector, but am waiting for warmer weather to put it in. Pretty sure this is the exhaust cam sensor. Engine runs great, just have this pesky code that keeps popping up. Be careful removing sensor: the screw holding mine in was so corroded it snapped off. Look carefully at the valve cover: newer ones have a “spare” screw hole. Apparently these buggers are known to break off! Just rotate the sensor to line up the retention screw tab on the sensor with the unused screw hole and use a new screw.
I have the pesky code but I also have performance issues. Rough idling, lack of power, that sort of story .kind of the same issue I had before doing my timing work. My mechanic informed me my timing was off by 12 degrees. I'm not sure that I ever pinched any cords or damaged any connectors. But given the work that I did, I'm almost sure it has to be some wiring or sensor malfunction.

I look forward to learning if you solve your issue .These are nice trucks when they run....
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM
TCK

Originally Posted by Xdm
...Rough idling, lack of power, that sort of story .kind of the same issue I had before doing my timing work. My mechanic informed me my timing was off by 12 degrees...
If a mechanic has run diagnostics on the engine, and he/she says it is 12 degrees off, then you have a much bigger problem than a sensor or connection. You have a mis-timed engine. Unfortunately, the only way to fix that is to tear it down again, remove the chain, and put it back on correctly. That's a lot of time, a lot of one-time use gaskets, some torque to yield bolts, etc.

Full disclosure: When I first cranked up my engine after the timing job, it barely ran at all. Turns out there were several (six?) sensors and connections that I had failed to hook back up, and one of the charge air pipes hadn't been connected on one end. Must have been rushing the final re-assembly. When I finally got all those corrected (a code reader was a great help in pinning down which connections I had missed!), the engine ran great... except under load. When I accelerated hard or was going up a hill, it would run very rough.

Couldn't figure out what it was, and the Bank 2 Sensor 2 error code wouldn't clear. So I threw in the towel and took it to a good mechanic for further diagnostics. They assured me that the timing was spot-on (Whew!). But they also quickly found out that one of the spark plugs (all of which I had replaced while I was under the hood) had a cracked insulator. They replaced the one plug and Presto! Engine has run great ever since.

Bottom line: The extra $100 for diagnostics and $30 parts & labor was well worth the ~$2,000 I saved by doing the timing chain job myself. But then all of my errors were on the outside of the engine where they were easily corrected.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Xdm
I have the pesky code but I also have performance issues. Rough idling, lack of power, that sort of story .kind of the same issue I had before doing my timing work. My mechanic informed me my timing was off by 12 degrees. I'm not sure that I ever pinched any cords or damaged any connectors. But given the work that I did, I'm almost sure it has to be some wiring or sensor malfunction.

I look forward to learning if you solve your issue .These are nice trucks when they run....
did you get it?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:31 PM

Default Bank2sensor2

So ford is opposite from Chevy meaning your bank1 is the right side or passenger side of vehicle and your exhaust cam pos sensor is sensor 2 so bank 2 sensor 2 is your driver side exhaust sensor located on the back side of the head by the firewall. There should be 2 sensors back there one for intake (sensor1) and one for exhaust (sensor2)

Trending Topics

Old 02-15-2023, 08:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

My recollection is that it's the exhaust solenoid on the driver's side cylinder bank. I'm dealing with a P0019 now. Dealer wouldn't even check the tensioner by removing the valve cover. They wanted to charge me to pull the front engine cover. The odd thing is that the code only crops up when I tow my camper. The rest of the time, the engine runs fine with no rattle. Oddly, I did have a rattle over 20K miles ago, but it went away and never returned after I changed the oil. I'm at 144K and am convinced the code it timing chain related, but I guess I'll need to get a 2nd opinion from another shop.

Quick Reply: Which Cam position sensor is Bank 2 Sensor B???