Topic Sponsor
Tires, Wheels and Suspension "How-To" articles pertaining to the Tires, Wheels and Suspension of an F150.

Bilstein 5100's or Bilstein HD's with 2" AS level?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bilstein 5100's or Bilstein HD's with 2" AS level?

Hey everyone,

Here's the deal. I want to level my 2012 Fx4 5.5' CC. During the course of my research I think I've read basically all the level/suspension threads on this forum. I see many people like the 5100's to level the truck but I also read from some that the 5100's on the highest 2.25" setting ride quite rough.

I also see that most people who go the route of a leveling spacer are also pretty happy.

Well because I don't want to sacrifice the amount of lift for a better ride (i.e - using the 1.5" setting on the 5100's) I have decided to purchase the 2" AutoSpring Level and also some 2" rear replacement blocks to maintain a little rake. I have seen a few people who are running a regular leveling spacer and have also added some aftermarket shocks to help better plant the ride after the level. My question is which would be recommended to run with a 2" level? The 5100's set at the factory setting or the HD's?

I have also read in some places that these two shocks are internally identical with the exception of color/zinc plating and the ability to adjust the front ride height on the 5100's. While in other places I have read that one or the other is more harsh. I don't want to stiffen up the ride and would like to maintain mostly a soft comfortable ride since I don't offroad the truck and honestly probably never will. Regardless of which one i end up choosing i will probably paint them all black so they aren't easily seen. But would the zinc plated 5100's still favor me better since I'm in the northeast which has some pretty harsh winters?

Hopefully some of you out there have a similar setup and can help me out. I hope I can help others out with this discussion as well.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Bilstein 5100's or Bilstein HD's with 2" AS level?