Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

the wheels are to big?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default the wheels are to big?

My father in law is letting me use his late sons truck (95 f150, 5.0 4x4 5spd manual tranny) because my truck is not 4 wheel (I have a 94f150 4.9l 4x2), and i needed something for snow since the mrs. started working. Issue, he lifted it 6 inches with a rough country lift, and put some big ol tires on it. The thing is a dog on hills, and gets ****e gas milage, and i live in a hilly area. What can i do to help with power (or maybe gas mileage?!) if anything? Maybe i should gank is 4x4 parts and throw them on my truck and ask forgiveness later haha
Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The MPG might be better than you think. Click this, read the caption, & then check the conversion constant:

(phone app link)

The only things that will change the torque at the wheels are:
1) downshifting;
2) putting the t-case in 4L (effectively downshifting);
3) putting smaller tires on it ($$);
4) changing the axles' gears to a lower (numerically higher) ratio ($$$$);
5) increasing the engine's torque ($$$$$$$$)

But you're not getting much benefit from 4WD on icy pavement. You'd probably be better-off putting chains on your 2WD front & rear. There are plastic zip-tie snow "chains" that are easy & disposable, and much cheaper than steel, if you want to test it out.
The following users liked this post:
SaltEater (02-06-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the wheels are to big?