Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Whatta steal..

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whatta steal..

So i posted last week that I wanted to swap a '96 351/5.8 into a '93 302/5.0... Turns out I might not even need to swap!

I went to see this pickup around 6:30pm, so it was fairly dark by then. The guy was real nice, stated that one day it just stopped running. Said he had just put gas in it and was headed home. It's been sitting since. I did the full look-around. In and out, under and over..the whole 10 yards. Realized the differential had a lot of what looked like oil on it. Asked if it leaked, he said no. He then showed me all the oil on the ground and said it'd been leaking really bad. Not sure why, but I didn't even THINK to look at the oil plug or the filter...It was dark, c'mon now! Fast foreward to the next day, I take out my friend who graduated wyotech last year. He majored in chassis stuff, but he's very smart. I explained to him all the oil..first things out of our mouths were "oil filter? plug?"...sure enough, we get there and he tinkers with the truck...He pulls me aside and explains that the oil filter was almost unthreaded completely.. All he needed to do was tighten the filter. I'm very happy with my purchase and lucky! Just wanted to update those who had helping words and thank them. I'm hoping to keep posting all my "fixerr-upper" adventures..oughtta' be fun.

She ain't the prettiest thing, but you can't beat that $300 with a stick.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

nice steal man...good luck with it!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But did it just stop running because it ran out of oil? Not a good sign when a filter isn't screwed on all the way and they've driven it.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
wanna touch the hiney

Originally Posted by farmer12
But did it just stop running because it ran out of oil? Not a good sign when a filter isn't screwed on all the way and they've driven it.
QFT...but it's worth $300 in scrap, so he's fine as long as he cuts and runs.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM

haha, just to clarify..I'm a girl.. gets confusing with all the "he" stuff.

as for it running without oil..I know that's a bad thing. Point is, he didn't run it KNOWING it was without oil. It was his Mob-Mobile and I'm assuming it finally came loose one day. After it stopped running that day he didn't drive it anymore. The engine shut down due to low oil pressure/lack of oil. He said it will start, but won't continue running. That's normal, it doesn't have any oil! I'm not concerned. If it runs cool! I'll probably replace the pistons and crank arms and some of the bottom end.. If it doesnt run, I've got a 5.8 with under 160,xxx on it. and actually, around these parts it would get around $400 for scrap.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM
wanna touch the hiney

Originally Posted by cheysayswhat
oops....my apologies
Old 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Awesome score!!! I see you have a ford hooked to the trailer as well. So you must be a Ford gal from a Ford family?

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by cheysayswhat

as for it running without oil..I know that's a bad thing. Point is, he didn't run it KNOWING it was without oil. It was his Mob-Mobile and I'm assuming it finally came loose one day. After it stopped running that day he didn't drive it anymore. The engine shut down due to low oil pressure/lack of oil. He said it will start, but won't continue running. That's normal, it doesn't have any oil! I'm not concerned. If it runs cool! I'll probably replace the pistons and crank arms and some of the bottom end.. If it doesnt run, I've got a 5.8 with under 160,xxx on it. and actually, around these parts it would get around $400 for scrap.
1) You and my wife are two of the coolest women in the world (got to love women who love cars)
2) Awesome score.

Keep us posted on the results
Old 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Mother Trucker

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoops sorry....don't get to many ladies on this site.

An don't get me wrong 300 bucks is a steal, even if you do have to toss a used engine in it.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Not a big deal! Most girls don't care about this sort of thing.

Truck pulling it was a 1995 f250 7.3 powerstroke. My ex's truck (wanted to throw him off a cliff and steal his truck when i found out.) Gotta love them strokers though. That's my dream truck, but I'll settle for something a little less for right now. My grandfather used to restore mustangs. He passed away unfortunately, but left his love of ford with me.

Thanks guys, I'll try to keep updating this. most people would look at it as a clunker..but to tell the truth, I was so excited I barely slept the night before we went and got it!

Quick Reply: Whatta steal..