Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

what else will this truck need

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Seņor Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default what else will this truck need

Hey everyone,
have a 94 5.0L 4WD (something over 150k mi) that the father-in-law had sitting around, trying to convert it into an everyday truck for the wife. Bit of background, they are absolutely horrible about maintaining their vehicles, especially preventative maintenance. He told me he hadn't changed the oil since he bought the truck used. In light of that I have done the following:
-change oil and oil filter
-replace PCV valve
-replace leaky heater hose
-in the process of replacing ball joints, front axle u-joints, and springs

The truck is missing exhaust from the resonator back and is possibly leaking oil from the rear main seal and oil pan gasket. What else can I expect the truck to need? Fluids changed/flushed, spark plugs/wires, hit me with it! I have zero clue about the maintenance habits of the first owner, but I guarantee that my father in law did nothing but put gas in it. Pics of the truck can be seen in my various other threads documenting the saga of the ball joint replacement.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Springer Spaniels Rule

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You could do a complete exhaust for about $60.00, before the wheels, with muffler. As far as the gasket\seal, try some engine sealer, it helped my ranger who had a couple of leaks and it stopped.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the other pics and it definitely looks like a "fun" project! I would get the engine compression tested to get a preliminary idea on how the internals of the engine are (rings and such) If you get low readings in some of the cylinders you might be due for a rebuild soon. Grab the Haynes or Chiltons manual and I think they have the procedure in there. A lot of auto stores will loan you the compression tester if you don't have one. I believe you are doing the coils/shocks? How about Cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs? Fluids flushed for sure including the brake fluid. How are the tires? Any rot to them? How about the bushings inbetween the body and frame? I'd probably check the wheel bearings as well and pack them in grease. Clean the throttle body... I would assume that no maintenance items were done and check the chiltons or haynes on anything else they suggest for a major tune up.

Scott
Old 09-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Seņor Member

the tires are relatively new, and I haven't had any trouble with the wheel bearings. I haven't heard any noise from them, but I wouldn't expect to over the crazy tire noise I was getting from the bad ball joints/springs. They looked fine when I pulled them out, but I didn't inspect them too closely either... I figure some new grease should do them fine
Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Seņor Member

a friend advised me that since the truck has probably passed 3k mi many times without an oil change it might be good to do a second oil change before 3k mi and before it gets regularly used. what do you think - good idea or overkill?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um not sure if i would waste money id wait for the 3k mark. dont know why u would change early heck to some people 3k is early lol
Old 09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I wanna go fast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before your next oil change do the OL Seafoam operation. I think theres a good write up on here. It's rather cheap and I've seen a smoother idle out of my 96 after I did it. If anything it won't hurt it.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Seņor Member

OL seafoam? what is the OL
Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I wanna go fast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just my slang for old, I don't know why I put it in caps.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Seņor Member

well played

Quick Reply: what else will this truck need