Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Wet Belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Belts

1994; 4.9L; automatic..... When we have wet weather here in Marietta, the belts seem to slip (but don't squeal) so that I have no power steering. Also, the brakes grab the front tires for the first couple of taps on the brake pad. Regarding the belts, could the tensioner pulley or it's spring have gone 'soft' over the years and needs replacing or is this a common problem with wet weather and serpentine belts? Note that after a short drive, the belts seem to dry out and grip like they should.
Same thing happens sometimes when I hit a puddle and apparently splash water on the belts. I bought the truck a year or so ago and replaced the serpentine belt and some other perishables like plugs. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Does the truck have the front stabalizer and splash guard and the complete inner fenders? Seems like something is missing if water is hitting the belt.

Last edited by sdmartin65; 05-04-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a good bet on the tensioner.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
It's a Canadian thing eh!

Received 195 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like a bad tensioner if its flying off that easy, check for any pulleys out of alignment or bad bearing. As for the brakes they might have some contamination or they rust a bit and when they are wet from humidity they get super touchy on the first few pedal strokes but ease up after they get hot and clear the crud off. Some brake clean on the rotors will fix that and maybe brake service.

Mine do that all the time, I just tell my GF my truck can stop on a dime when she flies forward

Last edited by sylver91; 05-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Salvage Yard Pro

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by sylver91
Sounds like a bad tensioner if its flying off that easy, check for any pulleys out of alignment or bad bearing. As for the brakes they might have some contamination or they rust a bit and when they are wet from humidity they get super touchy on the first few pedal strokes but ease up after they get hot and clear the crud off. Some brake clean on the rotors will fix that and maybe brake service.

Mine do that all the time, I just tell my GF my truck can stop on a dime when she flies forward
Not to get off topic.....and I'm no councilor......but I think the truck will outlast your young relationship! You can screw around with the truck when and where you want to, you can make adjustments to the intake and exhaust..... : ), and money is always well spent! Not to mention, your truck won't complain when another woman rides in the bed.....hmmmmm. Touchy brakes, sit down, shut up and hold on!
The following users liked this post:
sylver91 (05-05-2013)

Quick Reply: Wet Belts