Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Turn signal problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Turn signal problem...

So this has been like this for a while but as I don't drive the truck much in summer I never bothered to fix it. But now as it's getting colder and weather steadily turning bad, I want to fix as I will be driving the truck much more.

My left turn signal doesn't work. Right one works fine but when you click the arm down for a left turn, the turn signal on my dash lights up, but doesn't blink. No clicks either ( R does click ). And neither front or back signal works.

This happened right after a friend came over and helped me install the off road foglights to my bullguard. I noticed it immediately and checked all the fuses, they were fine. Then we checked the wiring ( I admit I don't know much about electrical wiring which is why he came over to help ) and it looked fine, we wired both lights directly to the headlights and not the turn signals. Then I pulled the bulbs and they looked fine.

Any ideas? Oh and when I turn the headlights on, the left running light doesn't turn on as you can see below. This pic was taken same night we installed the o/r lights....

Thanks all!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue cept only when my lights are on. But I know its in the wiring in the rear I just havent felt like rewiring it since Im looking for a bed anyways.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Well what is weird is it happened RIGHT after we wired the o/r lights....

So unless it somehow shorted something out, I dunno why it would affect the front and back left....
Old 12-10-2009, 02:17 PM

I would disconnect the offroad lights and see if it starts working agian. If it does that tells you right there that the lights are causing it. If thats the case Id run the offroad lights their own power source straigt off the batter with the appropriate fuses and what not.. I also run relays on anything like that I hook up. You dont really need a fuse and a relay (at least Ive never had trouble) but I usualy run both to be safe!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

It's been so long since I've had blinker probs, but doesn't the blinker filament (front or back)burning out no longer complete the circuit to the flasher? A blown brake light screws up Cruise Control! What happens when you turn on your emergency flashers? The Lack of the "click" does sound like mechanical failure in the column. there's a nylon "gizmo" under the steering wheel that fractures.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-10-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Not sure on the emergency flashers, I'll try that tonight when I get home...

Good idea. Yeah what strikes it as odd to me is lack of click and the turn signal indicator on dash just lights up and stays on when I turn the signal on.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Franchi
Well what is weird is it happened RIGHT after we wired the o/r lights....

So unless it somehow shorted something out, I dunno why it would affect the front and back left....
"Weird' & "Coincidence" have been sleeping together for years! m.p.j.

Last edited by ymeski56; 12-10-2009 at 03:48 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

lol touche
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM

when you have a burned filiment the blinker blinks really fast.. no blink when either a flasher or wiring problem
Old 12-10-2009, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Franchi
lol touche
Where did you come up w/ your Sig quote? I live with a mouse, that thinks it's "his" house!

Quick Reply: Turn signal problem...