Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

ttb front axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 112 Likes on 109 Posts
Default ttb front axle

It seems whenever I read about the ttb front end on a 4x4 its someone bashing it in favor of a solid front axle. Now I understand the advantages of a solid front axle for serious off road, plowing, rock-climbing, heavy mud situations and big lifts. My question is, for you average weekend wheeler who commuted in his truck or hauls a load and tows some toys, I'd the ttb really all that bad. Ford used it for a long time. How does it compare to other independent front suspensions. The front end in my RWD seems much stronger than other pickups on the trail. I've hit some things pretty hard with no damage at all. The travel of those long arms rival some aftermarket setups for the competition. The I beams are similar to what you find under some of the heavy military vehicles I have worked on. On the road and even off road independent suspensions definitely have some handling advantages over a strait axle. To my thinking the ttb should be a good compromise between the strength of a solid and the handling of an independent. Is there something I'm missing? Where's the love for Ford's ttb. Isn't this one of the things that sets our trucks apart from the crowd?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
broke white boy

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i think the ttb is a great setup for what it is and what it was designed to do. but when you push it past that they are not the ideal setup.

i've ran both ttb and sas swaps in trucks. and for a daily driver or weekend wheeler the tbb is a fine setup. it rides nice on the road and their is alot more travel in it than you would expect.

the main problem is it wearing out tires. this can be fixed by using quality replacement parts ie: ball joints and tierods. their is a reason they sell the cheap parts cheap. and finding a capable shop that knows the nature of the ttb that can align the tires.

as for most of the people on this forum and most people that want to do an sas swap it is not worth it in my opinion. unless your going to be doing some nasty offroading the tbb works just fine. i've had numerous fords and have only converteda few to sas.

at least we didnt have the true indepentent setup that chevy used during the 90's now you talk about a turd on the trails.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fordtrucknut
i think the ttb is a great setup for what it is and what it was designed to do. but when you push it past that they are not the ideal setup.

i've ran both ttb and sas swaps in trucks. and for a daily driver or weekend wheeler the tbb is a fine setup. it rides nice on the road and their is alot more travel in it than you would expect.

the main problem is it wearing out tires. this can be fixed by using quality replacement parts ie: ball joints and tierods. their is a reason they sell the cheap parts cheap. and finding a capable shop that knows the nature of the ttb that can align the tires.

as for most of the people on this forum and most people that want to do an sas swap it is not worth it in my opinion. unless your going to be doing some nasty offroading the tbb works just fine. i've had numerous fords and have only converteda few to sas.

at least we didnt have the true indepentent setup that chevy used during the 90's now you talk about a turd on the trails.
Chevy STILL uses the Torsion bar IFS (1988-Present), its junk, doesn't flex worth a crap and is expensive to lift.

Im a chevy guy, and wished chev went same route as ford with TTB, its a great setup.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 87F150Cobra

Chevy STILL uses the Torsion bar IFS (1988-Present), its junk, doesn't flex worth a crap and is expensive to lift.

Im a chevy guy, and wished chev went same route as ford with TTB, its a great setup.
I think my friends 2wd 08 1500 has coilovers on the front but his 03 2500HD we just lifted has Torsion Bars and an Open-C Frame
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for ttb its great on the road with no lift which is how ford intended and +1 for quality parts to help tire wear
Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 PM
November 2011 TOTM Winner

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts

I guess I wonder which parts are best quality, I'm planning on tuning up the front end on mine and am in the planning stages of bearings, seals, ball joints and tie rod ends..

Any suggestions on parts selection?

I'm thinking Timken bearings and Dana bj's....

Last edited by 5Rangers; 08-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: ttb front axle