Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Trans problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problem?

Ok, so about a month ago I bought a 91 F150 xlt 5.0 from a friend for $500. I have since put a new starter, starter relay, map sensor, msd ignition coil, msd cap and rotors, accel plugs and wires, trans flush, oil change, O2 sensor, and cleaned the throttle body.
Yesterday I was pulling about a 4k load and on the way back she seemed to slip between gears at around 60 mph. I added a quart of trans and a quart of oil cause she appeared to be low in both. I also added seafoam to both tanks. After that she seemed fine. However, later she started kinda bucking. I know the egr valve tube is broken. But i was told that's fine. Also, I noticed that it appears to be a small leak from the trans. When she started the bucking I noticed that oil has splattered in the engine area on drivers side. Could this be trans issue or egr?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 11-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 492 Likes on 426 Posts

Could be either. I would disconnect and plug the vacuum line to the EGR and see if that makes a difference. If you start pinging, reconnect it. Just a possibility, by drawing in air from a broken EGR tube, you could be causing a lean miss. You need to address the oil leak issue before a fire starts or you run low on oil or trans fluid. Oil splattered sounds more than a minor leak.