Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Tranny or clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny or clutch problem?

So i just replaced the slave cylinder not even 1000kms ago. Then the other day while i was driving home it was getting real hard to get in and out of gear. after i minute of that the truck just started making a horriable grinding noice. I lost gears 1-5 and reverse, when i tried to put it in gear it just grinds and doesn't even try to move.
My first thought was my tranny was gone, so i called a tranny shop today told him what had happened and he said it sounds more like the clutch is shot sense i have no gears, and that it's the output shaft doing all the grinding and the broken clutch.

So heres my question, has anyone on here had that problem befor, if so what was it? I havn't taken the tranny off yet to look just because its way to cold and snowy out.

BTW its a 96 f150 2wd, 4.9

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the clutch pedal firm/feels like it should? Was the correct tranny fluid put back into it when the slave was done?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by lbzf150
So i just replaced the slave cylinder not even 1000kms ago. Then the other day while i was driving home it was getting real hard to get in and out of gear. after i minute of that the truck just started making a horriable grinding noice. I lost gears 1-5 and reverse, when i tried to put it in gear it just grinds and doesn't even try to move.
My first thought was my tranny was gone, so i called a tranny shop today told him what had happened and he said it sounds more like the clutch is shot sense i have no gears, and that it's the output shaft doing all the grinding and the broken clutch.

So heres my question, has anyone on here had that problem befor, if so what was it? I havn't taken the tranny off yet to look just because its way to cold and snowy out.

BTW its a 96 f150 2wd, 4.9

Any help is appreciated.
Put the trany in direct that would be 4th gear and let out the clutch if it just lugs down and kills the engine it is the trany if it grinds then it is probably the clutch.Bubbabud
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Put the trany in direct that would be 4th gear and let out the clutch if it just lugs down and kills the engine it is the trany if it grinds then it is probably the clutch.Bubbabud
no josh there wasn't thats where i ****ed up.

and when i put it in forth it just grinds, doesn't bog or do anything.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by lbzf150
no josh there wasn't thats where i ****ed up.

and when i put it in forth it just grinds, doesn't bog or do anything.
IM talking with the engine off put it in 4th then with the clutch depresed start it up.ease out the clutch if it sounds off then you probably tore the clutch disc apart as the trans is in direct and no gears are in playbubbabud
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
IM talking with the engine off put it in 4th then with the clutch depresed start it up.ease out the clutch if it sounds off then you probably tore the clutch disc apart as the trans is in direct and no gears are in playbubbabud
ok cool thanks alot

Quick Reply: Tranny or clutch problem?