Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default throttle body question

94. f-150 302 , 165,000.
I removed the throttle body and cleaned it . when I cleaned the outside of it
there was a stick on note that said . do not clean the inside of it .
and do not adjust the idle screw .
the thing is I had already cleaned the inside.
Did I really ruin something ? why not clean it ?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gassign94
94. f-150 302 , 165,000.
I removed the throttle body and cleaned it . when I cleaned the outside of it
there was a stick on note that said . do not clean the inside of it .
and do not adjust the idle screw .
the thing is I had already cleaned the inside.
Did I really ruin something ? why not clean it ?

You didnt ruin anything - I cleaned the inside of mine too -- there WAS a coating 17 years ago on yours thats long since worn off - so you're good to go.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by djhives
You didnt ruin anything - I cleaned the inside of mine too -- there WAS a coating 17 years ago on yours thats long since worn off - so you're good to go.
Man, your catching on pretty quick to these ol Fords!

That coating was kinda like the original teflon finish on my ol' 53' M1 Garand rifle. Yea, there's a protective finish, but barely.

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by ymeski56
Man, your catching on pretty quick to these ol Fords!

That coating was kinda like the original teflon finish on my ol' 53' M1 Garand rifle. Yea, there's a protective finish, but barely.

Yeah - Im gitttin there... I like getttin mah hands dirty -- this weekend I did the rear drum brakes, did the front discs (with those pins) this morning -- a basic AOD drain/fill is up next.

I curse the old ford sometimes but then magically I warm up to it and I feel love again.

In one breath I laugh at some of the cheapness and planned obsolescence in SOME of the engineering - but then in the next breath I marvel at how it still WORKS and works well.

So the next question is - that old protective teflon finish thats now gone -- does it make a difference that its gone - or was it just a ford CYA move?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Yeah - Im gitttin there... I like getttin mah hands dirty -- this weekend I did the rear drum brakes, did the front discs (with those pins) this morning -- a basic AOD drain/fill is up next.

I curse the old ford sometimes but then magically I warm up to it and I feel love again.

In one breath I laugh at some of the cheapness and planned obsolescence in SOME of the engineering - but then in the next breath I marvel at how it still WORKS and works well.

So the next question is - that old protective teflon finish thats now gone -- does it make a difference that its gone - or was it just a ford CYA move?
Not if you clean it occasionally. Once a year's usually enough to be, probably more than on top of it. That "finish" is a bunch of crap. It looked good on paper but really didn't fly.

Regarding the AOD Tranny. Remember there's an inspection plate on the housing in front of your torque converter & the converter should be rotated around to expose the drain plug, & drained also. (if your tranny's like mine)

I recommend tossing in a can of "Transtune" & driving it a few days first. You will be glad you did. Check the Seafoam site for more info on Transtune.

Ask the forum boy's if you're weary of either product. A lot of members have had experience w/ one or both products....And no, contrary to humor rumor's, I don't work for the company, but I've seriously considered buy stock in it.

Last edited by ymeski56; 03-15-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are awesome !!
thanks for the info .
I'll be changing the tps, the water pump , and the harmonic balancer .
I had used a wire brush and throttle body cleaner ;then noticed the note .
the violent nature of the internal combustion engine is astounding .
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by gassign94
you guys are awesome !!
thanks for the info .
I'll be changing the tps, the water pump , and the harmonic balancer .
I had used a wire brush and throttle body cleaner ;then noticed the note .
the violent nature of the internal combustion engine is astounding .
OppS!!! That's what I get for talking on the phone/ watching Fox news & reading posts at he same time!

I read "protective coating" & immediately assumes we were talking about the IAC (IAB). Same thing re cleaning except obviously most people aren't going to pull the Throttle body once a year to clean. IAC however, a good idea.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:09 PM

+1. This is the first vehicle I've at least attempted to do a lot of my own work on. I was more of an import car guy, but chicks dig the lifted trucks.... guess I'll have to keep this around and running.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by scoby41
+1. This is the first vehicle I've at least attempted to do a lot of my own work on. I was more of an import car guy, but chicks dig the lifted trucks.... guess I'll have to keep this around and running.
Well, I heard "fat chicks" do, because the suspension is much less likely to bottom out. Probably a little embarrassing, going down the the road w/ the passenger side tires smoking.

Quick Reply: throttle body question