Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Thinking of buying a 91 Nite...Want your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of buying a 91 Nite...Want your opinions

Hello, all.
This is my first time posting on here. I am currently driving a 94 Ranger, and while I love my truck dearly, I've got oil getting into cylinder 5 and so I believe that I have a bad valve seal or worn rings. I need to tear the motor apart and figure out what's going on with my baby, and thus, I am looking for another truck to get me to work and back for a little while. I am a serious Ford enthusiast, and have always had this inkling that I want to buy a couple trucks from the year I was born (1991) and do a restoration on them. I've always been super picky about my vehicles, and have been looking in Arizona for a 91 F150 with the ext. cab and the regular bed (Not a fan of short beds). Keep in mind I'm in Michigan. I am set on a Manual Transmission. One thing the Ranger has taught me is that I want more room to work on my truck. I'm sick of having no space. A full size ford is the only thing I can envision. The trucks I have been looking at out here have had fairly serious rust. Nothing worth restoring. I take good care of my vehicles(The ranger is my first car) and I'm really looking for something kind of permanent. If my woman will let me I'd like to have 2 or 3 trucks so that I can be working on whatever and still have a way to get to work. A few days ago I stumbled upon a gem. I found a guy near me with a redone 91 Ford Nite. Though its a standard cab, they did not come with an extended cab in 91. The extended cab was not available until 92. I have done a ton of research on this truck. And while i was not able to get a good number on how many were made, I have been able to deduce that this truck is pretty rare. Here's where it gets interesting. The body is immaculate on this truck. Decals all still intact as far as the pictures show. Its got a new Crate 302 with 3000 miles on it. Rebuilt transmission and rebuilt transfer case. 4 speed Manual Trans with overdrive. he claims 69000 on the body. I will try and attach photos. I have a couple of concerns about the truck though. I'm worried that parts might be hard to find, though someone told me that the Nite was just a trim package, nothing more. If this is true, then are the regular maintenance parts (Ball joints, tie rods, brakes, etc.) the same as a regular 91 F150? Also, I have not been able to find out what the value of a truck like this is. KBB says that a 92 with 69000 on it and in good condition is worth between 3000-3500. KBB also says that a 92 Nite with 3000 miles on it is worth 4500. I am probably going to go and drive it this weekend, and would love to know what a truck like this with all that work done to it already is worth. It seems too good to be true, cause this truck is a beauty. Any and all opinions, ideas, and information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Art5
Attached Images      
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

From what i read on past posts yes the nite f-150 is basically just a trim package, just like the custom, XL, XLT, and Eddie Bauer. All the parts you mentioned are the same as any other 1991 trucks, and many more years should fit on it also. How much was he asking for the truck
The following users liked this post:
Art5 (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, that is a really nice looking truck. Just check for rust around the wheel wells, the radiator supports, the bottom inside of the tailgate, the bottom of the back cab corners, and the bottom inside of the doors. You probably already know that, but if you don't there you go. Also, see if he has any paperwork on the engine, and put him on the spot by asking him what went wrong with the old engine. If it is infact too good to be true, from the looks of the truck that would be where he is trying to screw you.

You were exactly right.. the Nite package is just trim. All parts are interchangeable with a normal 8th-gen (87-91) F-150.

Tell us how much he wants for it.

If I bought that truck, i'd put F-250 springs on the front and leave it alone. That's a great survivor. I hope you get it, you sound like someone who will take care of it

Last edited by James 302; 10-15-2012 at 08:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Art5 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's asking $6500
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a nice truck! Ive have seen this '93 on Philadelphia Craigslist for a while but it's a stepside and is not in great condition. Just of you look at this truck get under the truck and look at the frame. Also check the transmission fluid.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Truck looks great but what did the PO do to kill a 302 at 60k miles. Things happen but most 302s are good for at least 120k and I had one go over 200k, and it was a work truck that hauled trailers for 20k miles. Check the rest of the powertrain for abuse.
Good Luck
rikard
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Art5
He's asking $6500
$6500 is a good chunk of cash. Judging by the license plate you are in Michigan, where i understand the value of a rust-free truck to be much more than down south. You sound like you aren't interested in getting rid of it, so it's your call on what to pay for it. Personally I'd try to get it for around $5000. If it's really what you want (don't blame you at all ), and the rest of the truck is as in as good condition as it seems from the pictures, then $6500 wouldn't be a ripoff. If you are looking to make money off the truck, $6500 is a bad price. That's the best way I can put it.

That probably didn't help you at all

If I had a spare $5000+ dollars I might drive up there and grab it...

Let us know what you do
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

6500 for a 91.... id walk away lol, but thats just me. id give him 4k at the most.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 91 Nite...Want your opinions